Pedal justification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedal justification

I've been there and back. I had a big ass pedal board about ten years ago but when my band went to record a CD, all the guitar tracks were guitar straight into the amp. I've since replaced that entire rig and turned to the digital side. With everything "in the box", I can use whatever I want whenever I want.

If I still had a pedalboard, I guess it would come down to this:
    1. Is there something I'd rather do with the space on the pedalboard?
    2. Is the pedal messing up my tone when it's not engaged
    3. Is there something I'd rather do with the money I'd get by ditching the pedal?

I guess where I'm going with that is that it's not so much about justification as it is prioritization. If there's nothing you want to take its place on the board, the only reasons to take it off are weight and tone suckage.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

I went through this the past few years. I used to have multiple delay pedals, various wahs, phasers, various trems, etc. I hardly ever used any of it. The wah really messed with my head - even though I never used it I felt like my pedalboard wasn't complete without it

I went through a simplification process as I started focusing on writing a lot more. I started realizing what my "style" was and I realized that it wasn't a modern hard rock rig. I didn't need phasers, flangers, wahs, trems, lots of delays... I don't write with all that stuff. I condensed down to a compressor, a delay, a fuzz and an overdrive. That's more than some people, but it's pretty basic and most importantly, it all gets used.
      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 04-29-2014, 04:33 AM.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Just another pedal board, that I am building…
        Needs cabling etc…
        It will be placed in the middle of two other pedal boards.
        Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
        When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
        Red Devils - 1% all the way!
        Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
        Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I've been in a process of minimizing stuff on my pedal board for the last few months, trying out different configurations and seeing what I can live without. At one point I was running 12 pedals, and realized that there were several on the board that had gone months without being turned on.

At the moment it's down to just fuzz->wah->vibe->delay. The wah pedal gets the least amount of use of those . . . but it's essential for some original funk tunes that I like to do (and Voodoo Chile) so it stays. I've given up trying to perfectly cop other people's cover tones . . . it's more fun playing the songs with the guitar sounding like me.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
            Recently I was giving my pedalboard an overhaul, and I came to a surprising realization; I don't need a wah pedal on my board. It was hard to accept at first' "Of course I need a wah pedal, I've always had one. I can't take it off, what if I want to Kirk-up that solo?"

Then I really thought about how often (or little) I actually stepped on it. My band doesn't have any original songs that use it, and we play maybe two covers that might benefit from some wah-wah action, so why is it there? Simply because it's always been there, just in case. All this time I've been dedicating this precious real estate on my board to something I barely even use. So I did what I had to do; I took it off. We'll see how long this lasts, but somehow I feel like I'll barely notice it's absence.
            I'm in the same boat. Just too much of a pussy to finally take it off the board!
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I actually prefer my Crybaby sitting off the board anyway. After all, it was designed to be ergonomic sitting on a flat surface, not an already angled pedaltrain.

It's more comfortable to play on the floor, saves a lot of space on the board and this is overall a more versatile set up. There's space for transporting it in the pedaltrain flight case when required.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman1 View Post
                I actually prefer my Crybaby sitting off the board anyway. After all, it was designed to be ergonomic sitting on a flat surface, not an already angled pedaltrain.

It's more comfortable to play on the floor, saves a lot of space on the board and this is overall a more versatile set up. There's space for transporting it in the pedaltrain flight case when required.
                I did this for a while, ultimately I felt that the space on the board wasn't worth the extra time to hook up those extra cables every time I played. especially on stage when you only have a few minutes to tear down or set up. That's what lead me to put it back on the board to begin with, now I realize I can really do without.
                Originally posted by Rockstar216
                Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  I'm in the same boat. Just too much of a pussy to finally take it off the board!
                  Hey if it's all the same to you, there's nothing wrong with leaving it there. I just like having the space for something I'll actually use!
                  Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Comment

I did this for a while, ultimately I felt that the space on the board wasn't worth the extra time to hook up those extra cables every time I played. especially on stage when you only have a few minutes to tear down or set up.
                    Don't really understand the time issue- it takes about 5seconds to patch the wah to the first pedal on the board with a 1ft cable.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman1 View Post
                      Don't really understand the time issue- it takes about 5seconds to patch the wah to the first pedal on the board with a 1ft cable.
                      It really wasn't much more time, it just seemed like a hastle to me. Especially for me to only step on it once, if at all, the entire show. Eliminating that one step during setup was one less thing I had to worry about.

Comment

If you don't use it, I can see why it would seem like a hassle. As I said before, I'm in a classic rock cover band, so I don't mind it - you can't do Hendrix, GnR, Zeppelin, and other like music without a wah.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

On my large pedalboard, I still have all the pedals there, but I can decide to bypass the first few like wah and fuzz's by plugging into the 3rd or 4th pedals in the chain. So, they're there if I need them and out of the chain if I don't.

The pedals I realized I don't need are my vintage ADA Flanger and Fulltone Octafuzz. I'm still keeping the ADA, but I sold the Octafuzz.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The Fulltone Fulldrive II. After seeing this thread it got me thinking, and I pulled it. It seems to have a transparent and a TS clone mode. The TS clone mode is OK, but superfluous. The transparent mode is as advertised, but I don't honestly get why people dig transparency in the first place. A good clean tone isn't necessarily a good overdriven tone IMO. I like some amount of mid boost. The Joyo Sweet Baby is more of a boost, not much mid bump, but I still think it sounds a lot warmer and bubbly than the Fulldrive. And then the Fulldrive has the boost button, which I employed when I was in a band, but now that we just jam, there's less of a need, and what I prefer to do is set the volume / gain to "lead" levels, then just roll back the volume for the rhythm work. That a case where vol pot attenuation of the highs is actually beneficial, it helps push the guitar back in the mix during.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                              If you don't use it, I can see why it would seem like a hassle. As I said before, I'm in a classic rock cover band, so I don't mind it - you can't do Hendrix, GnR, Zeppelin, and other like music without a wah.
                              That's exactly it, back when I played those songs, I actually did need a wah. Now that I don't, I barely touched it, but the mindset that it needed to be there remained. I never realized it until the other night.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              On my large pedalboard, I still have all the pedals there, but I can decide to bypass the first few like wah and fuzz's by plugging into the 3rd or 4th pedals in the chain. So, they're there if I need them and out of the chain if I don't.

The pedals I realized I don't need are my vintage ADA Flanger and Fulltone Octafuzz. I'm still keeping the ADA, but I sold the Octafuzz.
                              I actually used to do that with my fuzzface. I would have it off my board with a 1' patch cable, and would plug it in for the songs I needed cause that thing would suck like crazy when bypassed. There was no danger of me keeping that thing around any longer than I needed it.

Comment

It really wasn't much more time, it just seemed like a hastle to me. Especially for me to only step on it once, if at all, the entire show. Eliminating that one step during setup was one less thing I had to worry about.
                                5 seconds is 5 seconds no matter how you spin it

to debate about something psychological like this is something else

a carpenter values his tools but does not go into great depths about them for instance, I mean he certainly needs some and not others for certain jobs

you are overthinking it dude, just play!!! Rock on, Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X