NPBD (New Pedal Board Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPBD (New Pedal Board Day)

Finally finished my pedalboard. It's got all classic effects a guitarplayer needs and is simple, compact yet versatile enough to be able to play any kind of gig if needed.
    The pedal on the left is a pedal we all know and yes its really good in combination with all of my amps channels, I leave it on all the time unless I want it really clean. I had fun building this little golden 'holy grail' box.
    The Boss tuner might be replaced by a polytune soon because I have a feeling that tuner pedals go out of tune after a few years. Is this even possible? Might sound weird but It doesnt respond/track fast enough for me either.
    Next is a Crybaby with a red fasel (standard), Hot potz II (also Standard) and I did some other mods which I don't remember to the cicuit board bc that was a long time ago. In any case it sounds like an actual wah and not a woh and I gave it a 'visual' upgrade as well!
    And last but not least, a Line 6 M5, I just got it today so I can't say if its good or bad, it just seems like a good buy for the delays and reverbs alone. Maybe I should consider wiring this through the FX loop of the amp but I'm pretty sure its designed for being in the front end chain.

The downside is that my huge FCB1010 midi pedal wont fit on it in order to conrol some more effects on the M5.
    For now I'm really happy about it .

The next step is obviously the midi pedal and a controller to make things easier. To be continued...

Any tips on the arrangement of the pedals are greatly apreciated as I have no idea what is better to go first or last in the chain. Maybe its better to switch around the taurus and the M5(true bypass) for the buffer?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140428_232213[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	5832943

Re: NPBD (New Pedal Board Day)

When in doubt: tuner-wah-dirt-modulation.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Like Big Flannel is alluding to, there is no right way to do stuff, and I agree with what he said minus the modulation; but since you asked...

effects loops were built for delay/reverb/modulation. I never like those in front of my amp.

With that Bogner, I would not use any dirt pedals.

I have the TC polytune. I think the polytune function of it stinks and does not really work well at all. so I vote for something else.

that said, the tuner does not go out of tune usually but I do see other pedals in front of it, so make sure those other pedals are off.

hope this helps a little, I look forward to anyone disagreeing with me as maybe Ill learn something. Cheers
      Last edited by everdrone; 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Nice rig dude! I would consider running Tuner-Wah-OD-Amp with the M5 in the FX loop. Putting the M5 in the loop will preserve the clarity of your effects. If you run them in front, while you likely won't notice it on the clean channel, the delay/verb/mod will get lost a bit under the distortion compared to running it through the loop. It's the same reason people don't generally run time based stuff before dirt pedals.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Thx for the suggestions guys, I will experiment and maybe post my experiences/findings on the fx chain thing.
          The M5 should probably go through the FX loop indeed. I bought it mostly for the modulation, reverbs, filters and delays which are typically better used in the loop if I'm not mistaken? I read a lot that the drives suck anyway in this pedal.

Are there any bettter tuners out there than the Polytune in the same price range?

Comment

How do you like the m5? I own more pedals than I can count but I'd like an excuse to get one.
             Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
              How do you like the m5? I own more pedals than I can count but I'd like an excuse to get one.
              I can tell you more after this week when i have been in the band practise shed runniung it through my Bogner.

This video shows Pete Thorn (who has amazing chops and superb tone) using the M9 around 22:50(which has more buttons and options but the same fx as the M5)
              Which gives a good but short first impression of the effects inside this pedal. The M5 can only have 1 effect on at a time though.

Last edited by Nightburst; 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

To buck the above advice . . . try dirt -> wah and see if you like it better. I find it more expressive this way.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  To buck the above advice . . . try dirt -> wah and see if you like it better. I find it more expressive this way.
                  You really had to say it didn't you!?

I just rearanged my pedalboard!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140429_210752[1].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	5777316

Just kidding ofc, I like this layout so for now this is it.

Comment

Working...
                  X