X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MRX Univibe as a chorus pedal??

Hi

Wondering if anyone has the new MXR Univibe/ chorus pedal yet and could offer a review...

Space on my pedaltrain jr is getting tight. I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe which is pretty cool but no space for a chorus pedal left over.... Would this new MXR check both boxes and function as a worthy chorus pedal to allow me to lose the Danelectro?

Chorus occassionally required for rock covers (Paradise City etc).

Cheers.

Re: New MRX Univibe as a chorus pedal??

Short answer - no, a univibe type chorus has little to no resemblance to an actual chorus. I know - I have an authentic Univibe (clone) and a Strymon Mobius which has great chorus machines. They sound nothing alike. You will either need to choose between chorus and univibe or find space on your board for both.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The "Chorus" setting on a Univibe pedal is the rotating sound emulation that everyone knows (the Hendrix/Trower sound). The other setting on a Univibe is "Vibrato" which is not used as much, although Jimi used it on a couple of later songs, and I have found it useful for some stuff (it's good for the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" "wobbly" lead sound, which was an effect that was added at the board after the recording, for instance). Even though it's referred to as "chorus", it's different to the later chorus sound that people are accustomed to, as someone already said.

Al

Comment

Thanks, that clears it up for me.

Comment

Working...
        X