Tube Driven OD Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Driven OD Pedals

Never played one. Won't anytime soon unless I just order one.

I think in the near future I want another flavor dirt box, besides my tube screamer.

What's the consensus with tube driven OD pedals?
    -IM

Re: Tube Driven OD Pedals

They're more fragile, usually large, and require an AC cable or DC wallwart. There's no generalities about the tone because some may sound really good and some don't at all.

I personally don't care for them, because there's a zillion solid state OD's that sound great and require no maintenance.

I'd suggest finding a Bogner Ecstasy Blue pedal. It sounds like a real channel added to your amp, plus it's own boost. It's got a lot of tweakability, so if you can't find a great sound with it, the problem isn't the pedal.

I like the XTC Red just as much as the Blue. It's higher in gain, but also sounds great at what it does. These pedals aren't cheap, but they're far more advanced than your typical OD/Dist pedals. You'll know why they cost more once you have it in your hands.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      They're more fragile, usually large, and require an AC cable or DC wallwart. There's no generalities about the tone because some may sound really good and some don't at all.

I personally don't care for them, because there's a zillion solid state OD's that sound great and require no maintenance.

I'd suggest finding a Bogner Ecstasy Blue pedal. It sounds like a real channel added to your amp, plus it's own boost. It's got a lot of tweakability, so if you can't find a great sound with it, the problem isn't the pedal.

I like the XTC Red just as much as the Blue. It's higher in gain, but also sounds great at what it does. These pedals aren't cheap, but they're far more advanced than your typical OD/Dist pedals. You'll know why they cost more once you have it in your hands.
      Ok cool thanks man. You basically answered my main questions.

Only heard great things about the Blue pedal.

Love your signature btw.
      -IM

Comment

I really like the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube. Yes, it's larger, and requires AC power...but I don't find it fragile (at least excessively so). Tone from this twin is excellent, with two channels; both with a wide range of tonality. They're discontinued, but a few months back there were new ones to be had on ebay.

Comment

What I'd like to know is if there's an electrical argument to be made for incorporating a 12AX7 versus diode clipping, or does the tube pedal use diode clipping also? Does it really give you tube warmth and a more rounded attack, or is it all a huge gimmick? Same questions apply for valve pre-amp amps, like the Marshall Valvestate line.

I haven't been inclined to but a tube stomp because it seems to me that the power stage is where tubes are most relevant anyway, and there's a lot of solid state pedals I have yet to try that cost less bla bla bla.

I've always had a good idea in my head of what an ideal valve based stomp would sound like, and that sound was exceeded by the Klon / EHX Soul Food, which goes to show, IMO, that the magic is in the fine details of the circuitry, not whether a tube is or isn't present. Compared to the Klon/Klone, I don't think the a Tube Screamer sound tube-like at all, not that it's supposed to either, but it goes to shows that sounding tube-like isn't a requisite for a great OD.
          Last edited by DreX; 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I had a Rocktron Silver Dragon, and it was pretty cool, but I don't see a huge benefit in my particular sound to having tubes. I also had an English Muff'n, and it was pretty cool, but the odd power adapter and the huge case were big turn offs. My particular example was a bit bright, too.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
            Originally posted by Securb
            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Love my tube king - had it for 16 years now.

Comment

I have a Real Tube 901 on my board with a 12AU7 tube. I prefer to get my distortions from TUBES, and I don't like 99.9% of the solid state boxes...they don't sound like a tube.

I use Mesa amps, so I don't use the Real Tube very often, but for some things it is perfect.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

+1 on the Tube King but it really is just an OD, only matters if it sounds good to you , has nothing to do with having a tube in it or not.
                  Originally posted by Oinkus
                  I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Originally posted by Oinkus View Post
                    +1 on the Tube King but it really is just an OD, only matters if it sounds good to you , has nothing to do with having a tube in it or not.
                    There are actual tonal qualities associated with tube power amps in contrast with solid state amp, I think the question of whether those actual differences translate in the pre-amp only / pedal context that goes beyond subjective preference, which if you had fancy oscilloscopes and spectrometers you could see directly. Is there an audible impact on the compression characteristics and attack, is my question.

Comment

I used to have a Kingsley Jester. I wasn't all that crazy about it, although people online seem to think it's the best pedal ever. I heard a warm and smooth overdrive without much presence or bite and it wasn't anything that I couldn't get as good or better in a solid state design and that's after tube rolling with it. I also had a Siegmund Missing Link that had some warmth, but the high end was piercing at times and it used a rare tube. Cool design, pretty good clean boost, but still, nothing that I felt I couldn't get elsewhere.

One day I'd really like to try the stuff from SIB, but history has not shown me that tube pedals are that great, especially when you already have a tube amp you're pushing with it. Dean DeLeo from STP likes the Varidrive, so there could very well be some merits to it with the right designs.
                      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 04-30-2014, 06:27 PM.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        I have a Real Tube 901 on my board with a 12AU7 tube. I prefer to get my distortions from TUBES, and I don't like 99.9% of the solid state boxes...they don't sound like a tube.
                        I have one of those and a BK. I have a 12AV7 in both.

If I can tame the noise in that Real Tube, it might be my go to. Its unbearable at times. Its got something my BK doesn't.

Comment

I agree with everything GearJoneser said.

I've owned the English Muf'n, the Twin Tube Classic, TT Mayhem, a Digitech RP-14, and a couple of the Vox modelers. I think these each bring something unique to the party. My favorites on the list are the TT Classic, the RP-14, and the Vox.

In the non-tube category, the Xotic EP boost is very warm, and the Way Huge Pork Loin "soft clipping" sounds different. I just got the Bogner Blue pedal also, which I like so far but it's too early for me to really review it. As much as I like these units, I doubt I'd mistake them for any of the tube units.
                          Originally posted by DreX
                          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

LOVE my 12AX7 driven EHX Hot Tubes.

Can go from slight OD to full-on Over Drive, right up to chewing, sludgy goodness
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

My Moen Raw Tube is awesome as an overdrive in front of the dirty channel...really thickens/tightens things up & sweetens solo's a lot too..plus it's the size of a regular Boss pedal. Runs with a 15V wallwart.

The Behringer Vintage Tube Monster is really raunchy/fat/sweet and great for blues/hard rock...even 80's metal, especially after I swapped the stock tube for a JJ.

They're not the same thing as a regular SS OD/Distortion pedal.

As for high gain...this is a real beast! Wish I could get my hands on one

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X