banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a Noise Supressor or a Noise Gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I get a Noise Supressor or a Noise Gate?

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
    I've tried several of them.

MXR Noise Clamp- Does not release notes fast enough so it cuts off your attack. Some high frequency signal loss. This is used in front of the amp.
    Boss NS-2- Works well, is double ended, but noticable high frequency loss when used in front of amp. Recommend using in loop.
    Behringer NR300- Almost as good as the NS-2. Works well in the loop only, noticable HF loss like the NS-2. Not as fast acting as the NS-2.

The only one I would put in front of the amp is a decimator. That will have the same affect as putting your volume on zero.

The NS-2 and NR300 work in the loop, but can only cope with so much noise.
    +1 that. That's the core of it, in a nutshell.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

NO DOUBT. Don't spend twice your money. Go directly to G-String. No other pedal works as the G-String does.
      Just take a look to this video:

There are several things you have to take into account with a noise gate:

* don't cutting tails of sound
      * effectively removing any squeel level
      * don't sucking your tone

Only pedal that full fits everything with spades is G-String (even the regular Decimator cannot hold all this!).
      Last edited by hermetico; 06-11-2014, 06:26 AM.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I use myG-String pedal daily and have been admiring how awesome it is

Comment

I thought noise gates were used to eliminate the buzz in the signal chain. I didn't realize they were feedback eliminators.

The easy, cheap fix is to reduce gain.
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

for the style of music I play I cannot turn down the gain

most just step on the dirt pedal and the horrible feedback commences and they play. when they are done playing, they just stomp on the dirt box again.

I dont like that cause there are breaks in my guitar playing and my palm muting also is helped some by the noisegate

(that is also how teh DJENT SETUPZ are, noisegates all around a few years ago Bulb was running 3 noise gates, 2 pedals and 1 built into his amp)

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
              for the style of music I play I cannot turn down the gain

most just step on the dirt pedal and the horrible feedback commences and they play. when they are done playing, they just stomp on the dirt box again.

I dont like that cause there are breaks in my guitar playing and my palm muting also is helped some by the noisegate

(that is also how teh DJENT SETUPZ are, noisegates all around a few years ago Bulb was running 3 noise gates, 2 pedals and 1 built into his amp)
              True. Misha uses far less gain than you'd think, though. A lot of his tone comes from gain stacking and tone scuplting, with surprisingly low gain in each layer of the "stack", noise gates for making staccato notes even more staccato, and -REALLY- aggressive picking. And his signature pickups are actually not that hot either.

You can see in this clip that his gain settings actually aren't that high. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5xKkFaZdE

Comment

Turn your gain way down. If you're playing in a mix, you won't even notice how much less gain you're using - other than the clearer and more defined sound with much less unnecessary noise.

Comment

I guess new question since someone gave this thread rebirth... I am making a pedal board... how should I set it up? following pedals are...

MXR Zakk Wylde OD
                  MXR Phase 90
                  (Coming soon) channel switch (it will go in the plug its meant for I know)
                  (Coming Soon) ISP G String Decimator
                  Danelectro Cool Cat (Reverb)
                  BOSS or MXR eq pedal (Coming soon)

how should I set this board up? thanks....
                  Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
                  Basses: Ibanez SR605
                  Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
                  Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

That depends on what you want to use the pedals for and if you are going to put any of them in your amp's effects loop. If it has one, that is.

Personally, I'd probably use the following order:

Guitar -> Decimator -> OD (might be better in front of the Decimator) -> Phase 90 -> amp input
                    FX Send -> EQ -> Reverb -> FX return

How you place the pedals on the board is a matter of taste. I usually place FX loop stuff on the top row, and things going in front of the amp on the lower row. For me, it's just a matter of which pedals I use more.

Comment

Originally posted by Morior View Post
                      True. Misha uses far less gain than you'd think, though. A lot of his tone comes from gain stacking and tone scuplting, with surprisingly low gain in each layer of the "stack", noise gates for making staccato notes even more staccato, and -REALLY- aggressive picking. And his signature pickups are actually not that hot either.

You can see in this clip that his gain settings actually aren't that high. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5xKkFaZdE
                      whoa, cool man, thanks for pointing that out, I dig that video rundown

Comment

Lowering the gain will actually make you sound more aggressive and punchier, as the audience will be able to hear the notes.

Pile on some mids, and you'll notice that both you and the audience hear you better. Which I guess can be a scary thing, but hey, it's a good reason for trying to become tighter and more precise.

Comment

Less is more with gain! I've seen many metal type bands use loads of bass, hardly any mids and way too much gain on their live setups, the result? A fizzy, muddy and generally horrible sounding distortion sound, with both guitarists being lost in the mix.

Like the guys have said, turn the mids up, i.e. above 5 and go easy on the bass. Gain no higher than 5/6. If you must boost with a pedal watch the distortion on that too. With my setup I run my gain at 4 and then use the tubescreamer with the level at about halfway. Gives me enough bite and punch without over muddying the notes. Sounds great!

Comment

Yup.

Personally, I use a Marshall Vintage Modern combo with the gains (yes, plural, as it has separate gain knobs simulating the two channels of a plexi) somewhere around 3.5 to 4, loads of mids, and a Keeley modified DS-1 with the volume nearly dimed, nearly no gain and the tone around noon-ish for my heaviest rhythm and lead tones. I've actually started looking for plain overdrive pedals, as this setup gives me way more gain than I feel I need for even my dirtiest, filthiest, most aggressive tones. In fact, my rig will probably sound more aggressive if I find a good overdrive.

...And I'm trying to make a rig suitable for progressive technical death metal, mind you. :P

Comment

...And SD just ****ed me over by creating the 805. I need one!

Comment

Working...
                              X