No announcement yet.

What's your favorite "always on" pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite "always on" pedal?

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
    Emerson EM-Drive
    I want to like those Emerson Custom pedals so badly, but something about them just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I've just seen a bunch of bad reviews. Do you know of a particular EM-Drive video that portrays it's tone fairly accurately?
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I have four pedals on all of the time.

Badgerplex AC
      Empress ParaEQ
      BOSS DM-3
      Young Pedals DM600

The DM-3 and DM600 are set so that the echoes blend in with the amp's tube driven spring reverb... no audible echo that I can actually pick out from the reverb.
      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
        I want to like those Emerson Custom pedals so badly, but something about them just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I've just seen a bunch of bad reviews. Do you know of a particular EM-Drive video that portrays it's tone fairly accurately?
        I think having "drive" in the name of the pedal is what throws people off. It's more of an overall "tone enhancer"...more like a boost or presence in your chain that makes everything stand out a little more and add some harmonic richness.

People who buy it, expecting it to drastically alter their tone, are going to be disappointed.
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

My bicycle pedals.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I played a gig recently where we played almost exclusively Police covers. Just like Andy Summers would do live, I left a flanger on the whole gig.

...and I kind of liked it.

As a long time chorus hater, I feel dirty.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
              I played a gig recently where we played almost exclusively Police covers. Just like Andy Summers would do live, I left a flanger on the whole gig.

Haha you know it's wrong but it felt so right!
              Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Comment

If you hate chorus... you should abhor flanger.

I don't hate chorus... I find it problematic and it usually ruins good tone.

But flanger? I usually throw up in my mouth a little when it's used in most applications... phaser is usually a much better way of achieving modulation that doesn't turn the tone into metallic sounding garbage.

Just sayin'.
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                  If you hate chorus... you should abhor flanger.

I don't hate chorus... I find it problematic and it usually ruins good tone.
                  I really should, I've always thought it was a cheesy, terrible effect, but on the other hands I've always been an Andy summers fan, and playing those tunes, with his flanger-based tone, just felt so right. So right actually, that I'm considering buying a flanger of my own (I borrowed a friend's pedalboard) to add to my own original stuff. Example of it being used well (not by me):

I also think I'm a little tired of the Phaser thing. I've used one for years, even when I was going through my effect-less archtop and solid state only jazz phase. I'm down for a little more woosh and a little less wobble.
                  Last edited by TimmyPage; 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM.
                  Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                  I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                  Andrew - None

Comment

I also think I'm a little tired of the Phaser thing. I've used one for years, even when I was going through my effect-less archtop and solid state only jazz phase. I'm down for a little more woosh and a little less wobble.
                    I went through the same thing. I liked my phaser but couldn't find any practical use for it in any of our songs. I picked up an MXR Micro Flanger a few weeks ago, and I've already found two songs that we play that it fits into perfectly. I recommend that one if you do get one, or the TC Electronic Vortex Mini.

Comment

If I need some pedal to always be on, I'm using the wrong amp
                      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I really should, I've always thought it was a cheesy, terrible effect, but on the other hands I've always been an Andy summers fan, and playing those tunes, with his flanger-based tone, just felt so right. So right actually, that I'm considering buying a flanger of my own (I borrowed a friend's pedalboard) to add to my own original stuff. Example of it being used well (not by me):

Are Flanger pedals cheaper than chorus pedals or something? Never understood someone using a flanger as a chorus... my Clone Theory can do that sound pretty easy.

Definitely schooled me on whether or not Andy used a flanger or chorus... I didn't know about the Electric Mistress.

I think the only thing I knew about Andy's tone was from the endless promotion he did for Roland around the Synchronicity album's success.

Those little books used to have him hook up a CS-2 to CE-2 to BF-2 to DM-2... I used to drool over those when I was 10 years old.

Comment

Boss NS-2, "boring" pedal

Digitech Hardwire Reverb, for that subtlety goodness

Comment

Not always on.....but I like my delays and vibe, sometimes my old old Maxon chorus, and a DC Drive set for a slight drive on the cleaner channel of my Super Sonic.
                            Now and then I stick in my old Guyatone flanger, have a Mini POG that I use sparingly.
                            I like effects in a measured way...
                            Sometimes it is just dry as a bone!

Comment

I try to always play with a bit of reverb, hopefully from the amp. If not, I'll use my TC delay or M5. But I always have on a compressor. Mine is the Malekko Red Comp. Great tiny little pedal, modeled after the Ross. It's subtle enough that and it's sounds great with all of my guitars and pedals. I don't need it, I can totally do a show with out one. I often do when I only bring one or two drive pedals to a gig.

My Tim is really useful and it stays on a lot. Perfect for a light chimney crunch and so clean.

Guitar->pedals->amp
                              Gear:
                              Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                              Epi Dot Natural
                              Partscaster blackie
                              Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                              VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                              Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

My only two, TS-9 & Carbon Copy
                                You wanted the best.......

Comment

Working...
                                X