banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So its completely insane to spend $350 on a Phaser right? ..right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So its completely insane to spend $350 on a Phaser right? ..right?

Look into the pigtronix envelope phaser. I had the first version for a while and it was pretty fun. It did auto filter, phase, and univibe tones. Of course, I found I am a univibe guy.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I've got this pedal called a phase 90, you should check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        There are several varieties of phasers. The phase 90 is great but I wouldn't go as far as to say that its the be all end all.

My boss CE-2 is probably my favorite chorus but sometimes I need my Polychorus to achieve the sound in my head.

Let homie have his fun.
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
          Maybe complicated and option-laden pedals are not ideal for people that like to jam along to AC/DC tracks, but for those of us trying to push musical boundaries they can be fantastic. There's not really another way to give as many options as a pedal like the Empress Phaser than by using numerous controls and features. I have a Strymon Timeline, Mobius, and an Eventide H9 and I find their expansive featuresets only to be a distraction when I sit down to have fun playing with effects. Once I've dialed in some cool settings I just use those to make awesome music.

YMMV
          You don't push 'boundaries' with stomp boxes, not even if you throw them really hard at the boundaries.

I haven't jammed along with anything on the stereo since I was a kid, much less AC/DC.

Granted, it is probably the loveliest phaser I've ever heard. I checked out a few more video's of people demonstrating it, and no one paired it with a fuzz/distortion or distorted amp. OP: unless you're a clean-channel-only kinda guy, you should find out if this thing pairs well with distortion/fuzz before buying.

Comment

Again - if you are looking for that AWESOME perfect high end Phase, can't argue with it. AGile pointed out a couple of other options.

I say $350 is a lot for ANY box. But - the features you want/need are ALWAYS a consideration. And even if it is one knob sonic-nirvana to you, do it. I'm always going to question price performance though, especially as features drop. Is it better, or just more expensive? That Empress IS better and more feature laden. Just be careful that you are not using it to generate a sound that I can get from my Behringer Vintage Phase….

Example; Do I NEED level, rate, depth, hi EQ, low EQ, AND delay for a chorus? In my case, sometimes yes I do! And I have a Digitech Chorus factory that kicks arse for that kind of thing (that I got off the bat for $40). While that box can make the noise of a used Nano clone…what a waste.

But like I ALSO said - when I need Tremolo Mojo; Nothing works like my Diaz Tremodillo. And my GOTO Screamer is a Stamps Drive-O-Matic, because I WANT that tight switch, Presence knob, and TWO overdrive settings!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              I have one and I love it! And a clone of one that I actually like even more than the original (sorry MXR). I think I've decided against getting this pedal, theres a few other bases I need to be able to cover with my new musical product, and for this pedals price I can legit get about 3 other pedals that I actually need.
              Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
              I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
              Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl View Post
                You don't push 'boundaries' with stomp boxes, not even if you throw them really hard at the boundaries.
                Really? Because whenever I use this effect I find myself coming up with things that I've never heard before in no small part because of the uniqueness of the effect.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                  Really? Because whenever I use this effect I find myself coming up with things that I've never heard before in no small part because of the uniqueness of the effect.
                  Not just that one specifically, but all the Strymon stuff. I played a Flint a little bit back, and even though I'm not a tremelo fan... or wasn't until I tried this.. but it just completely changed the way I thought of the instrument in my hands. My playing changes a lot depending on what pedal I have, the sound of my amp, different sounds and modulation effects inspire me to play in drastically different ways. It's really amazing what an inspiring sound or piece of gear can do to your playing.

And p4vl, think back to the innovators of effects, you can HEAR how much differently Hendrix played with different effects, they inspired him to play differently, each different new sound made him think of different ways to push the instrument.
                  Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                  I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                  Andrew - None

Comment

For real. I just got an H9 and a volume pedal and using said volume pedal in conjunction with the reverbs/dual delays on the H9 is letting me think of the instrument completely differently. I just picked that one Strymon effect because it's rather unique in the guitar effects world. But I agree with you on all of Strymon's pedals being extremely inspiring. I have had an El Capistan and an Orbit and currently own a Timeline and Mobius. Between those and the Eventide there's enough to keep me inspired for as long as the boxes resist the temptation to give under the pressure of my giant sized stomps.

Hendrix is a great example. I would find it hard to believe that he could come up with 'Machine Gun,' or at least the version we know today, without the univibe. The way that effect interacts with your playing and dynamics is unlike many other effects I've tried and, at least when I play it, evokes a kind of guitar playing that doesn't sound right without the univibe.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

No sir!!!

I have paid a whole lot more for a whole lot less...and been very happy about it!

If you want it then got for it!
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

https://robertkeeley.com/product/6-stage-phaser/
                        Try this.

Comment

Working...
                        X