banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once in a while I build one or two that are worth looking at...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once in a while I build one or two that are worth looking at...

So I come here to show them off of course!

1st off is an EP Booster. I'm quite impressed with this pedal. With the bright switch on it adds just the right amount of brightness. The fat switch doesn't do much however. It reminds me of the SHO but gets a bit less dirty... a worthwhile pedal.

Second, an Amptweaker tight metal... the gainiest pedal I've built and played. Light version in that it doesn't have the effects-loop and the noise gate is at a pre-determined level (trim pot inside) and always on... pretty nice sounding at home, haven't tested it in band context though...

Hope you like...

Re: Once in a while I build one or two that are worth looking at...

I like ! I like a lot !

Comment

Wow! Amazing, as usual!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words guys.
        I gotta say, coming back to building pedals after building a 100w amp makes it a bit less exciting sadly. There's a much lesser thrill now building something that has no potential of killing you and only puts a 5$ dent in your pocket if you screw it up...

Comment

Those are great! I've been thinking about trying my first pedal build recently, this definitely makes it much more tempting. Great work!
          Originally posted by Rockstar216
          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Love the art. I would love a Phase 90 and a Distortion + with custom art, especially if they're only $5.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Heh way cool as usual....haha yeah high voltage stuff is somewhat far removed from those little 9v things
              Looking forward to your next projects!

Comment

very nice Graphics.

Comment

way cool.
                  I'd love to see a thread outlining how you do the graphics, and also a thread on how you build your circuits on the breadboard and stuff.
                  it'd be fascinating.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thank you all guys!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Love the art. I would love a Phase 90 and a Distortion + with custom art, especially if they're only $5.
                    Hehe, 5$ is the approx cost of the circuit... I don't include pots, jacks, enclosure, etc... which can be reused for other projects if you screw-up. Resistors are about a penny each, caps a couple of pennies and most transistors and ICs are quite cheap too so...

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                    way cool.
                    I'd love to see a thread outlining how you do the graphics, and also a thread on how you build your circuits on the breadboard and stuff.
                    it'd be fascinating.
                    Thanks, I could do a pictorial of sorts but there's not big mystery anywhere.

Graphics are found on Google images and then printed on Avery clear laser-printer labels (I use small ones for the text, such as control labels, input, output, 9v, etc. and big ones for the graphics):
                    Drill, prime, paint, apply labels, clear-coat and voilŕ!

Circuits are simple as well. Nowadays I mostly build on vero board (strip board) with layouts from tagboardeffects (a few from sabrotone) so it's a matter of cutting the vero to size, make the cuts and links, solder on the components and you're done. I do use pcbs I etch myself but I'm quite fed-up with the process. It takes a long time to transfer the mask (toner), etch, drill, etc and the results have been unsatisfactory lately (I might have a problem with my acid supplier).

There's really nothing fancy about the way I build but if you need détails I may do a bit of a tutorial when I build the next pedal if you want.

Comment

Well I guess I could spend a LITTLE more than five bucks on a decent handmade pedal...
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                        So I come here to show them off of course!

1st off is an EP Booster. I'm quite impressed with this pedal. With the bright switch on it adds just the right amount of brightness. The fat switch doesn't do much however. It reminds me of the SHO but gets a bit less dirty... a worthwhile pedal.

Second, an Amptweaker tight metal... the gainiest pedal I've built and played. Light version in that it doesn't have the effects-loop and the noise gate is at a pre-determined level (trim pot inside) and always on... pretty nice sounding at home, haven't tested it in band context though...

Hope you like...
                        gorgeous graphics. Where did you get the switch boards? Looks like a good purchase instead of threading true bypass knotwork.
                        Originally posted by Funkfingers
                        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                          gorgeous graphics. Where did you get the switch boards? Looks like a good purchase instead of threading true bypass knotwork.
                          Thanks! I bought the daughterboards from a guy on a pedal-forum. If you need I can give you his email. They end-up quite cheap (I don't remember but somewhere around 0.75$ a piece) and are quite amazing. They simplify the wiring and make things much faster.

They have a spot for your LED-limiting resistor and 5 ground pads (making it an ideal spot for your star-ground). Plus, you gotta admit, they just look nice and clean.

Comment

I've been wanting to try a tight metal...

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                              Thanks! I bought the daughterboards from a guy on a pedal-forum. If you need I can give you his email. They end-up quite cheap (I don't remember but somewhere around 0.75$ a piece) and are quite amazing. They simplify the wiring and make things much faster.

They have a spot for your LED-limiting resistor and 5 ground pads (making it an ideal spot for your star-ground). Plus, you gotta admit, they just look nice and clean.
                              Nice. Guitarpcb sells some for 1.89ea but I'd rather wire my own and spend that on all the passive components instead. Theirs are pretty nice though.
                              Originally posted by Funkfingers
                              Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Working...
                              X