MXR Blue Box volume mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Blue Box volume mods?

So one of my many pedals is an MXR Blue Box. I really like the pedal, its fuzzy and glitchy with a weird octave effect that's never the same twice. Its awesome.

The thing I hate, is how much volume drop you experience when engaging the pedal. Its almost like it cuts your signal in half.

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of mod can be performed to give this thing the ability to reach unity?

Any and all experience is welcome.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Re: MXR Blue Box volume mods?

I have a couple of pedals that do that, where the maximum volume setting is just under or at unity with the bypassed guitar signal. Frustrating!

No solutions, sorry -- just commiseration.

Perhaps a clean boost after the pedal to get the signal back up? Or a compressor ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
      So one of my many pedals is an MXR Blue Box. I really like the pedal, its fuzzy and glitchy with a weird octave effect that's never the same twice. Its awesome.

The thing I hate, is how much volume drop you experience when engaging the pedal. Its almost like it cuts your signal in half.

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of mod can be performed to give this thing the ability to reach unity?

Any and all experience is welcome.
      I almost think there is a mod for that vol. drop.

Let me see what i can find.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
        I almost think there is a mod for that vol. drop.

Let me see what i can find.
        Thank you!

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Never had that issue with a Blue Box and I've had several.

What else is in your signal path?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            Never had that issue with a Blue Box and I've had several.

What else is in your signal path?
            really? with every one i've ever played, unity gain was around 3 o'clock. i've never played an original but it is very noticable on the reissues
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I have the volume dimed and its still below unity.

It doesn't matter whether I run just the blue box or other pedals in the chain, it has a substantial drop in output and has for as long as I've owned it.

Comment

The best way is to build a booster into it. A friend did an article on my blog about adding a Zvex SHO circuit into his.

A resource & guide for the DIY guitarist featuring amplifier and effects pedal builds.
                Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Cool thread and info, although I don't have this problem with my BB.
                  Jay Paul-Paz
                  If F = Optimal number of guitars and X = Current number of guitars then F = X + 1

https://soundcloud.com/ironikaika/tracks

Comment

I have one that has been modded for the volume drop and a mid boost, also true bypass as I was getting a lot of bleed when bypassed. Unfortunately I didn't do any of those mods so I don't know what they were. I just gave it to a friend to mod. The volume drop may be more a problem with the mids and clarity than volume.

Guitar->pedals->amp
                    Gear:
                    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                    Epi Dot Natural
                    Partscaster blackie
                    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X