• Show
Clear All

• New Vintage Pedal Day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	5834297

Just arrived today. Always wanted one from when I heard the song Creep by Radiohead. I satisfied my distortion urge for the longest time by using a rat, but when I saw this I knew it had to be on my board. And sure enough I say bye to the rat and brought in the shredder. Very much a Marshall-in-a-box tone. I need to mod this for true bypass however, anyone on the forum that could help?

Re: New Vintage Pedal Day!

I've wanted try one. I've heard amazing things about them but I haven't heard one.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

oh hell yes….
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yes!! Nice! I know you've really wanted this. Congrats brother.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I like that pedals that people used to tell me were old pieces of junk are now being regarded as "new vintage" pedals.

it's like a "coming of age" experience for guitar players.

all that matters to me is that it sounds good to you and makes you want to make music.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            I like that pedals that people used to tell me were old pieces of junk are now being regarded as "new vintage" pedals.

it's like a "coming of age" experience for guitar players.

all that matters to me is that it sounds good to you and makes you want to make music.
            were these considered junk in the 90's?

it surely has more gain than the double rock, but the double rock has an articulation I've never heard before

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
              were these considered junk in the 90's?
              Well... there wasn't a market of boutique pedals back then. When that pedal was out, rack units held the majority of the pro and semipro interest in the FX market.

Pedals were seen as inferior to rack units or overdrive that came from the amplifier. Only weirdos and proto-grunge rockers used fuzz units and that was basically all Big Muffs.

So yeah, that pedal was purchased alongside Squire strats and Crate amps. It also drove the front end of many a Marshall microstack and Dinky set-ups.

Were these pedals used by serious musicians back in the 90's? I'm sure they were but probably on the down low.

You gotta understand that when someone like Satriani admitted that he used a DS-1 back then... the whole guitar playing world scrunched up their noses and said in an incredulous tone, "Really?!?!?"

I had a friend who used your new vintage pedal plugged into a Mosvalve head/4x12 rig and it sounded KILLER!!!

I think it was cooler to have a ShredMaster pedal than a BOSS overdrive or Distortion/Feedbacker... but the coolest dudes had Marshall, Mesa, Laney or Randall heads, JMP-1 preamps or ADA preamps back then.
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                Well... there wasn't a market of boutique pedals back then. When that pedal was out, rack units held the majority of the pro and semipro interest in the FX market.

Pedals were seen as inferior to rack units or overdrive that came from the amplifier. Only weirdos and proto-grunge rockers used fuzz units and that was basically all Big Muffs.

So yeah, that pedal was purchased alongside Squire strats and Crate amps. It also drove the front end of many a Marshall microstack and Dinky set-ups.

Were these pedals used by serious musicians back in the 90's? I'm sure they were but probably on the down low.

You gotta understand that when someone like Satriani admitted that he used a DS-1 back then... the whole guitar playing world scrunched up their noses and said in an incredulous tone, "Really?!?!?"

I had a friend who used your new vintage pedal plugged into a Mosvalve head/4x12 rig and it sounded KILLER!!!

I think it was cooler to have a ShredMaster pedal than a BOSS overdrive or Distortion/Feedbacker... but the coolest dudes had Marshall, Mesa, Laney or Randall heads, JMP-1 preamps or ADA preamps back then.
                interesting, so something like a weehbo pedal in that time would have been an outrage? I've always wanted a jmp-1 preamp but I don't believe a $700 is easily attainable. Then of course, would have to buy a power amp for it as well, too many components involved.

I'm currently running 3 dirt pedals including this one, and I'm still not 100% satisfied, tho I'm getting close. This pedal however is quite interesting. The gain knob only works well in one position, maxed. Anything else is just weak as hell. The contour knob is where the tone shaping lies. It can easily attain a classic rock tone with boosted mids or a modern scooped mids tone. Very interesting stuff. I haven't really heard a tone suck, so maybe a true bypass mod isn't necessary.

Comment

interesting, so something like a weehbo pedal in that time would have been an outrage?
                  That's a really good question... expensive pedals would have been a hard sell before 1995. Post-1995 is when you saw the pedal market explode.

I mean, the Guvnor is the basis for a lot of boutique clones out there today. That Marshall pedal line is still well thought of because they were really good pedals when they were out.

In fact, I think that Marshall line of pedals was a little more expensive than the BOSS, DOD or Ibanez line... the Marshall name has always meant quality up until then.

Marshall wasn't selling any low end amps yet... if people wanted a cheap Marshall, they bought the Lead 12 combo, the microstack or picked up a MOSFET Lead 100 or maybe even an Artist if they had some dough.

I used all three Marshall heads during the late 80's-early 90's - JCM800, Artist and Lead 100 heads. Even the Lead 100 was killer (GREAT value on the used market today BTW).

Dunlop and Electro-Harmonix hadn't quite come back out with a new line of pedals yet at the time... the pedal market was really small. We all literally had the same looking pedalboards. lolz
                  Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

This thread makes me happy.
                     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
                      This thread makes me happy.
                      Will be doing a vs test against a jackhammer soon

Comment

Will be doing a vs test against a jackhammer soon
                        Awesome! I saw you post in my pedal thread asking about how they compared and I've beem so damn busy thay I forgot to respond. I'm sorry.

Both pedals are great but you're gonna love the shredmaster.

What amp did you say yu were playing through?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Awesome! I saw you post in my pedal thread asking about how they compared and I've beem so damn busy thay I forgot to respond. I'm sorry.

Both pedals are great but you're gonna love the shredmaster.

What amp did you say yu were playing through?
                          Have you played a shredmaster? I picked up a jackhammer for $30, why not? Based on your comments and others it's definitely worth at minimum that much. I just wish the shredmaster had more gain. It's better to have tons than not enough

Marshall TSL60 with 2x12 greenbacks cab. I'm a Marshall fan, but the gain on my amp isn't very tweakable.

Comment

Have you played a shredmaster? I picked up a jackhammer for $30, why not? Based on your comments and others it's definitely worth at minimum that much. I just wish the shredmaster had more gain. It's better to have tons than not enough

Marshall TSL60 with 2x12 greenbacks cab. I'm a Marshall fan, but the gain on my amp isn't very tweakable.
                            I played through one when I was first getting into guitars and I remember liking it. I definitely thought of Radiohead when I started fumbling my way around some settings.

Other than that, I don't have a ton of experience with it. I can tell you that using the jackhammer on OD mode would make a wicked boost, especially straight into your amp.

Comment

I played through one when I was first getting into guitars and I remember liking it. I definitely thought of Radiohead when I started fumbling my way around some settings.

Other than that, I don't have a ton of experience with it. I can tell you that using the jackhammer on OD mode would make a wicked boost, especially straight into your amp.
                              Sounds awesome. I was reading thru an old thread here where they modded the jackhammer distortion side for less bass and gain, sounded more like the od channel.

Thing is the perfect gain tone to me is Marshall, that's the quest I'm on! And nowadays these Marshall in a box pedals are really awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X