banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing doing today so had my own pedal fest with a sad realisation.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nothing doing today so had my own pedal fest with a sad realisation.......

I'm another one who has a drawer full of pedals, and I think I have nine on my board, PLUS...a pedal board for my acoustic. It does get to be insane, and while I have 10 too many, seems like there's 15 that I want.

I can't say I've given up on dirt boxes, but I have rarely used the Real Tube 901 on my pedalboard since I bought my first Mesa amp--back around 1995. The RT worked great with the vintage Fenders and Marshalls to give me a thick, singing lead tone, but the Mesa just does it so much better. And some would say that the Mesa's clean tones don't stack up against the Fenders', but in a band context, this has never been an issue for me.

But even with the three channels of the Mark IIIs, IV, and now my new V, I can certainly argue that I need a nasty fuzz of some sort (thinking about the EH Satisfaction), and a pedal that would give me a more Marshally crunch. I bought a used CM Plexidrive because I liked the demos, but I haven't really played with it yet. And, it is a BIG pedal, and it will take up a lot of real estate on my limited board. So perhaps there is a better choice.

Somehow, I wound up with three chorus pedals--and I like them all. My fav is my old DOD FX-60, but the Boss CE-3 is the one currently on my board, and it does very well. And then I picked up a Hardwire Stereo Chorus--I think this is what I'm eventually going to wind up with, but there is a lot to play with in this pedal, it seems very versatile. And there are a VOX Clyde McCoy and a Crybaby Classic wahs, but neither has replaced my old Thomas Organ Crybaby.

And delay? Heck, four years ago I didn't even own a delay pedal, and now I've got seven of them: a FAB, two DD-3s, DD-20, Short-Timer, BBE Two-Timer, Echo Park--insane! And I don't really have a need for long delay times, either. I guess I got to just sit down and do some tinkering and experimenting--a process I find a bit tedious at best. I've become an old-fogey who doesn't like change, but these pedals work well for me; I don't want to change, just to be changing

And I hate selling stuff. Plus, I really like having backups available--caa-caa happens; someone could always try to walk away with a pedalboard. And I had one go up in smoke at festival where the power was wonky. Fortunately, the Furman sacrificed itself and saved my pedals.

So, I don't know what the answer is to all of this. I have the nine pedals on my board, and most of these would now be considered "vintage"--I've acquired them over many years. While I have all these pedals on the board, I also make it a point to not over use them--there's a couple that might only get used two to four times in a four-hour gig. So I could say that my pedal philosophy is to have a lot of pedals and use them sparingly.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I wish I had all of the pedals I've owned over the years!

Compare and contrast the Timmy and Prince of Tone for me. I owned the Timmy a few years back, wish I still had it. I always wondered about The Prince of Tone?
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

After awhile, you start looking at them as hundred dollar bills, baseball cards or stock certificates. Keep the ones you can't bear to do without, and sell or trade the others.

Sometimes, it's good to line them all up and remind yourself why you bought them in the first place......as you did. I've been doing that too, and something funny happened. All the ones I love happen to be in the same color group. (copper, orange, brown) So you know what that means.......the next board is destined to be nothing but those colors.

Bonamassa Wah
        Bonamassa Fuzz Face
        T Rex Mudhoney
        Go Go Tuner
        Klon Centaur
        Strymon Lex
        T Rex Replica

The other winners are all silver, so you know what that means!
        Hendrix Wah
        Barber LTD silver
        Xotic Robotalk RI
        Snark pedal tuner
        Pigtronix Phi Echolution
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Last night we rehearsed for this weekends gig and just having the Klone and Tmmy worked well. The drive on the Hurricane is killer on its own but I backed it off to about 1 o'clock and used the pedals to beastie it up. I have to say the Klone was a superb choice and sounded awesome and the Timmy did what it does in boosting the existing sound where the Klone added to it.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorblue View Post
            I can relate. I can get such great "natural" OD out of my 59 tweed deluxe, I finally decided to simplify my life a few years ago. After trying a lot of things, I went against the politically correct concept and bought a little zoom multi-effects box. I only use the delay, tremelo, or wah (on occasion and never together). I found, like you, that I don't often need effects and, when I do, I generally limit it to one. When I did A/B comparisons with separate pedals and a multi-unit, I found that the good multi-boxes sound just as good and it really simplified my life the past 3 years.

I think the multi-effect boxes got a bad rep because most people try to stack up a bunch effects on each channel. That may sound okay when you're playing by yourself, but in a live venue, it sounds weak and "all digitally." The best sound comes from a good tube amp and if you are just using one single effect for the specific song, these boxes are fine. Also, I've found that I make more use of my guitar controls and depend less on boxes. A creamy smooth tone on a volume 3 can become a driving saturated scream turning the guitar volume up to 8=9. With the volume pedal, you can still bring down the feed to the amp a bit to offset the hotter p/u sound. It's really much less distracting. Also with the multi-effects box you can program just what you need. For me, user channel 1 is flat, 2 has delay, 3 has tremelo, and 4 converts the volume pedal to wah---since the box is also a tuner, you can hit that, turn volume down with the pedal and tune on the fly between songs if needed.

I know that some people will tell me that a digital tremelo or delay cannot compare to an analog box, but I think you might be surprised it you AB and test, how slight the difference really is for live applications. In recording sessions, you might pull out your old boxes, but for live. this works great for me. --Gator
            My experience is that multi fx units do modulation and reverb well but lack in the gain/overdrive. For years, I used a boss me 50 happily. Only guitarists had attitude about it. Other musicians and audiences complimented the sound.

Comment

I do not see ANY problem with multiFX if already using delays and noisegates etc

why???

Cause you can just plug in the dirt boxes into the loop(s) of the multifx pedalz ext loop

Comment

Originally posted by rumy22 View Post
                My experience is that multi fx units do modulation and reverb well but lack in the gain/overdrive. For years, I used a boss me 50 happily. Only guitarists had attitude about it. Other musicians and audiences complimented the sound.
                I used a friend's ME50 for a while, live more than anything else.
                Staying away from presets and using the manual mode with some radical EQ adjustments gave some damn nice tones, even with gain patches.

Nothing wrong with that pedal, except for the snobbism it triggered. Impossible to dial that one out.
                Last edited by Diego; 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  I used a friend's ME50 for a while, live more than anything else.
                  Staying away from presets and using the manual mode with some radical EQ adjustments gave some damn nice tones, even with gain patches.

Nothing wrong with that pedal, except for the snobbism it triggered. Impossible to dial that one out.
                  Heck ya, so true.

Comment

Working...
                  X