Question(s) about A/B-Y footswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question(s) about A/B-Y footswitch

If I use this to go between my 2 amps do they need separate cabs?

and say I wanted to plug it into my Marshall and Mesa so I could go between the 2 how would I hook my pedal board up (I only want to use the board for my Mesa) would I go A/B-Y > Pedal board > Mesa?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Basses: Ibanez SR605
    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Re: Question(s) about A/B-Y footswitch

Yes you need two cabs.

Since you play tube amps you HAVE to have a load on them (cabinet) or you will blow the amp up.

Guitar -> A/B switch

A -> amp 1 -> cab 1
    B -> pedal board -> amp 2 -> cab 2

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

The above.....plus its hard to get sound out of an amp if it has no speaker.

Comment

I think he is wondering if there is a way to get both heads to one Cab, so that the one cab is producing from whichever head he selects.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I think he is wondering if there is a way to get both heads to one Cab, so that the one cab is producing from whichever head he selects.
          YES that is what I wonder lol, but I will take it as a no.
          Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
          Basses: Ibanez SR605
          Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
          Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

Originally posted by epi View Post
            YES that is what I wonder lol, but I will take it as a no.
            Well, Radial makes an A/B switcher that can use the same cab, but you can't run both amps at the same time (no Y), only one or the other.

Comment

If your cab has 2 (or more) speakers then you can wire separate speakers to separate amps

Comment

For instance, if you have a 4x12 cab, you can wire the left two speakers for one amp, and the right two for the other. HOWEVER: MAKE SURE YOUR AMPS AND SPEAKER LOADS ARE SET PROPERLY. If your amp is expecting 16 ohms, make sure it sees 16ohms, etc.
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                  Well, Radial makes an A/B switcher that can use the same cab, but you can't run both amps at the same time (no Y), only one or the other.
                  Pretty sure you mean this one which can be used to switch two tube amps into the same cabinet. They make other switchers to combine tube / SS or to switch a pair of SS amps. Lampy is correct that these do NOT allow both amps to be on at the same time.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Maybe you want to switch preamps then go into a single power amp + cab. I know amps manufacturers say "don't turn the amp on" without a speaker connect, and I understand that is because of the usage of a transformer in the power section. My concern is then switching only the cab would put one of your amps and leave the power section of the other without a load could damage your amp.

Now, I understand the preamp section is not subject to that problem s maybe you want to AB switch between preams and and take the output of your switch into a power amp (the FX return) with cab always connected.

I know there is people out there doing preamp switching, let me look for my past threads I am almost sure someone using a Boss line selector for something like this.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Have you looked at the Radial Headbone?

"The Radial Headbone is a specially designed switching device that lets you toggle between two different guitar amplifier heads using a single speaker cabinet."

Comment

Headbone would be the way to go. but to be honest for the $300 bucks you could sell your cab now, get a used 1960, run in stereo (and have the option to run both if you wanted) and maybe even have some left over!

IMENATOR...you can certainly slave an amp. However regardless I would want a load connected to my head. Just me though unless someone else can chime in.
                        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                        X