No announcement yet.

NPD (x2). Xotic SL Drive Review inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD (x2). Xotic SL Drive Review inside.

As some of you may have seen, last week I was starting to feel really stressed while searching for a decent gain pedal. I ended up seeing a deal for this pedal used, and after a few hours of listening to clips I finally just thought 'enough stressing, it seems decent, it's cheap' and bought it. So far it feels really good.

(Picture not mine)

First thing I noticed out of the box was how hefty it was. For a mini pedal it feels really weighty and sturdy. The entire pedal just feels like quality and effort was put in, the design is attractive, there are really sturdy large rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep it from shifting, the knobs have decent resistance to them and they're placed in a way where you can't really accidentally change an important tonal quality accidentally while stepping on it. It's taller than a Mooer mini pedal, though mostly thats to give it some extra room for a battery.

It's designed to sound like a raging Marshall Plexi Superlead, but I can't honestly tell you what one sounds like from hands on experience. I can however tell you that it sounds big, really big. Even when I had it at practice volume about an hour ago, I was shocked at how fat and full it sounded. It does do the signature Marshall growl thing well, I found myself gravitating towards those Jimmy Page style live tones and some woodier/woolier Allman Brothers tones. With the Marshall 'grind', it's fairly aggressive sounding on the stock dip-switch settings, something which may work really well for the rock and classic metal guys in here (I've heard some AMAZING Maiden demos being played with this), but for me I'd like something smoother. With the dip switches set to Super Bass mode I found a setting I really liked, a nice dark and round lead tone which also makes for a really fat rhythm tone. I dig it.

It's a really fun pedal to play, it's very reactive to my picking and to where I set my volume. It really does the job of sounding like a cranked tube stack, which is fairly impressive coming from my 1x12 speaker, and it has more than enough gain for liquidy, syrupy, Gilmour style lead tones, and the lower gain settings feel really realistically amp like. It's a quality piece of kit, I definitely made the right choice grabbing it.

As for pedal 2? I got a TC Electronic Flashback delay too, from the same place. This doesn't need a review, it's a modern classic of delay pedals for a good reason.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Re: NPD (x2). Xotic SL Drive Review inside.

I have the SP compressor and it is pretty great all around , one of these days will probably get an EP and SL just to have the option. Little pedals not alot of controls and added internal switches make for pretty wide range of sounds in everything I have used by Xotic.
    Originally posted by Oinkus
    I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Re: NPD (x2). Xotic SL Drive Review inside.

Yeah I'm saving up right now for an SP compressor. All three of them seem like such utterly high quality boxes.

The more I play with it, the more I've been digging the SL drive. That high cut switch inside is amazing, with an echoplex style delay set up I'm getting really amazing Eric Johnson style lead tones. It's super smooth and round.
      Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
      I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
      Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
      X