Best Wah for Buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Wah for Buck?

I have a GCB-95F Crybaby. I've replaced the tone pot and adjusted it several times over. I like the tone before I changed it and now I can't stand it. I thought about getting another wah, perhaps a Vox this time or just another 95F. Then I've thought about a 595Q. I have noticed some wah's sound better with different guitar/amp configurations, both clean and dirty tones. If I want to maximize my verstility, would a 595Q be the best bet? I don't want to spend $200+ on a Wah. Any thoughts?

Re: Best Wah for Buck?

I take the plain Jane crybaby classic and open it up and pull two resistors and swap them around, adjust the pot to where the frequency doesn't go quite as high and put it back together. I then have a much more vocal sounding way that doesn't cut the low end and output as soon as you turn it on.

Comment

Oh and foe good measure I put in try bypass switching. All and all I got less than $100 in it and it sounds better than any of the dozen wah pedals I have ever tried.

Comment

For maximum versatility the 535Q is the way to go. Also worth looking at, but slightly more expensive is the CAE wah Dunlop makes. It has two inductors with different voicings, and a boost, plus LEDs for on/off and indicating which inductor you're using.
        Originally posted by Rockstar216
        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

BBE ??? Just do not buy the Vertex version

Comment

Which replacement pot did you install? Same one that it came stock with? Dunlop makes a few different pots with different values.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
            Nope...

Comment

I would always recommend the Ibanez Weeping Demon wah for any price point and for any kind of music. I love it. It's one of my favourite pedals ever.

It has several switches and knobs to fine tune the sound/sweep/range.
              It has the auto-return function that can be turned off.
              It also has this cool "Bass"-mode that is optimised to bass but sounds very cool with guitar if you want very deep sweep.
              It also quite affordable.
              Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
              When in doubt... C4
              "Biologists think they are biochemists,
              Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
              Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
              Physicists think they are Gods,
              And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                Which replacement pot did you install? Same one that it came stock with? Dunlop makes a few different pots with different values.

The Hot Potz II in mine was really dirty and need to be replaced. I didn't change the inductor or any other part. It just doesn't sound the same anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroitblues View Post
                  The Hot Potz II in mine was really dirty and need to be replaced. I didn't change the inductor or any other part. It just doesn't sound the same anymore.
                  So the original and replacement pot were both Hot Potz II? Sounds like you may have had an HP I in there originally, which is a different spec.

Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                    For maximum versatility the 535Q is the way to go. Also worth looking at, but slightly more expensive is the CAE wah Dunlop makes. It has two inductors with different voicings, and a boost, plus LEDs for on/off and indicating which inductor you're using.
                    Either of those two. I own and use a CAE wah but picked it up used for $125.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

...for the buck?

Try a Behringer Hellbabe for $39.95

Built solid & sounds fantastic

Optical sensor/spring back/boost/Q adjustable/range adjustable/6 voicings etc..etc..

ie....more options, versatility and tweakability than most other pedals out there..for a price that's ridiculous...
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

My comment on Wah;

Unless you KNOW you want/need/can't live without a specific vintage way of some sort….

No excuse to not get a 535Q period anymore. Last Wah you'd ever need.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Maybe I'll get the 535Q then. But I've learned, never buy a used Wah. I believe they are the ONLY pedal that wears out and needs to be replaced over time.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post

I am still wondering about this.
                            The Wah was fine until you changed the dirty pot.?
                            Do you still have it...did you try to clean it, or are they sealed.? Did you try to re-install it.?
                            Other than the taper, and the max resistance, the pot should not really have that much effect. Is it possible you got onto something else while in there.?
                            best
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I have adjusted a few resistors in every wah I have owned in order to fine tune the sweep and frequency response. Given that I'm going to mod my wahs anyway, I recommend a Vox V847 because it's cheap and it looks good :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X