Treble boosters and tube screamers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Treble boosters and tube screamers?

So many things come into play...like how much "treble" is in the amp to begin with...where/when the amp starts to distort. Boosting the treble freq of a bright, distorting amp can sound pretty bad, etc etc.
    Then there is the device itself. We are probably discussing pedals that are true to the Dallas Circuit that was in use "back then".
    But yeah...if it sounds good... to Hell with status quo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I use both. A TS-7 and a Keeley Katana which is a treble boost when the volume knob is pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by YamiFrankc View Post
        Maybe I will but some kind of treble booster in the near future, they look very interesting, but usually i dont crank my amp...
        You don't have to crank your amp to get a usable tone from a treble booster. In the late 60s and early 70s they were used to push an overdriven amp over the edge. That is just one application. I get a lot of useable tones at bedroom volumes. They are also great for pushing your distortion and overdrive pedals or providing a bit of overdrive on their own. Brian May uses one with his Vox AC30s to help him get that violin like sustain he is famous for.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
          Play a JTM 45 and you will understand why people used them.

A lot of the stuff our heroes used was made to compensate for the fact that most of their gear was designed by people who never considered rock and roll as a potential use for it.
          Solid statement. A lot of the gear that we use wasn't even originally designed for guitars. The wah was originally marketed for trumpet players.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Page is another treble booster fanatic and is known to use Fender amps in the studio.
            Never knew he actually used them. Suspected it though. Was the Unidrive a Treble Booster?

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
              Never knew he actually used them. Suspected it though. Was the Unidrive a Treble Booster?
              No it is an overdrive and a quirky one at that. A lot of people used them in the studio to emulate the live cranked Marshall sound.

Comment

The wah was originally marketed for trumpet players.
                I thought it was to mimic trumpet players
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  I thought it was to mimic trumpet players
                  Correct, the circuit was created and somebody said "wow, sounds like a wah wah plunger trumpet mute, let's get Clyde McCoy to endorse it". He signed and got some checks, but that initial meeting was really the only interaction he had with the wah.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Correct, the circuit was created and somebody said "wow, sounds like a wah wah plunger trumpet mute, let's get Clyde McCoy to endorse it". He signed and got some checks, but that initial meeting was really the only interaction he had with the wah.
                    From what I read the first thoughts were to use it on horns to replace the mute.

Comment

If I'm recalling correctly my info is comng from the Crybaby documentary, an obviously guitar-centric source. I could see the story being told from the other standpoint and being completely different. It was a pretty enjoyable watch, and it's on YouTube.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        If I'm recalling correctly my info is comng from the Crybaby documentary, an obviously guitar-centric source. I could see the story being told from the other standpoint and being completely different. It was a pretty enjoyable watch, and it's on YouTube.
                        That is an awesome documentary.

Comment

i dont know if i consider a vox a dark amp. you can make it dark with the cut control but leave that baby full CC and it is freakin bright!!

a treble booster into almost any cranked amp will do cool things. good is in the ear of the listener

Comment

So here I go, I will buy a treblebooster

Sent from phone...
                            Sorry for my bad english .

Comment

Originally posted by YamiFrankc View Post
                              So here I go, I will buy a treblebooster

Sent from phone...
                              May I suggest the BBE FREQ Boost. It is based on the Rangemaster circuit and you can find them on Ebay under $50. They are not shrill which is a plus for me and they start to add a nice overdrive around 11 o'clock. Here is a review I did on the BBE.

Comment

May I suggest the BBE FREQ Boost. It is based on the Rangemaster circuit and you can find them on Ebay under $50. They are not shrill which is a plus for me and they start to add a nice overdrive around 11 o'clock. Here is a review I did on the BBE.

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2010/8875/bbe-...u-can-find-one
                                Looks nice. definetely considering that one

Sent from phone...
                                Sorry for my bad english .

Comment

Working...
                                X