banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using an ABY selector for distortion, clean chorus, just clean, and chorus and dist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an ABY selector for distortion, clean chorus, just clean, and chorus and dist.

Alright guys so a lot of songs I play go from either clean to distortion, clean with chorus to just distortion and vice versa. Such examples are Angry Chair from Alice in Chains: starts with clean chorus to just distortion and back. Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana: Clean to distortion, then from distortion to clean with chorus. My most recent song learnt has been Slipknot's Devil in I and that song goes from distortion to clean with chorus.
    I have a boss DS-1 and a Digitech whammy and only one amplifier. basically what I would like to do is with an ABY selector go between the ds-1 distortion, the digitech clean (that I use for chorus), and use them together in case of a solo or something with distortion and chorus.
    My problem is though if i run my guitar into an ABY selector and then use the A for distortion and B for the chorus then I have two cables running but only one amp. the digitech has a wet and dry output so I thought maybe using that to help but I can't wrap my head around it.
    Please help.
    I would like it to be: Guitar-> ABY selector: A-Distortion, B- Chorus only ONE output in my amp.
    Thank you for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Re: Using an ABY selector for distortion, clean chorus, just clean, and chorus and di

Start wearing clown shoes, you might be able to step on two pedals at once.

Comment

Re: Using an ABY selector for distortion, clean chorus, just clean, and chorus and di

Get a pedal loop switcher.

Comment

You're overthinking it. Run into the clean channel, get a good clean sound. Step on your distortion for distortion. Turn it off and step on your chorus for clean. Two quick taps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
          Get a pedal loop switcher.
          This. Not an ABY, you need a loop switcher.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

For your application, I believe you can step on two pedals... However if you have more changes than that (clean w/chorus -> distortion + delay + phaser for example) you'll want something like this:

This allows two loops of pedals (Loop A & Loop B) and allows you to switch between them.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              For your application, I believe you can step on two pedals... However if you have more changes than that (clean w/chorus -> distortion + delay + phaser for example) you'll want something like this:

This allows two loops of pedals (Loop A & Loop B) and allows you to switch between them.
              And both loops together.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You DEFINITELY don't want an ABY switcher. The LS-2 works great, I've been using one for 6 or 7 years now with no problems. You can have as many pedals in each loop as you want and though it has many switching options, it does have limitations...there are only 2 loops available. As your pedalboard expands, you will want this Octobus:

It has 8 banks with 4 presets per bank giving you 32 available loops (put the LS-2 in one of those loops to increase the possibilities even more). Each loop can be programmed to use any combination of any number of effects (up to 8 each). This can give you 256 possible effects combinations. This is extremely versatile, easy to program, and easy to use. If you play in a cover band, this is an absolute must to put an end to tap dancing on your stomps.

For example: you could program preset 1A for clean, 1B for chorus only, 1C for distortion only, 1D for chorus + distortion. You just step on one button to choose which combination of effects you want. Let's say that later you get more pedals...a delay, overdrive, compressor, tremolo, and tuner. You could, for example, program a preset (say, "2A") to include overdrive + compressor + reverb for rhythm. Then for your lead, step on one button to switch to preset "2B" to go to distortion + compressor + chorus + reverb + delay. Then you could switch to "2C" to your tuner to silently tune your guitar between songs.
                Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-15-2014, 08:45 AM.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Joyo makes a pedal looper too

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-PXL-8-Mul...rds=joyo+pedal
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Loopswitch

And watch a few Eric Johnson live vids - to see how it is done.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Loopswitch

And watch a few Eric Johnson live vids - to see how it is done.
                      Excuse the ignorance mighty Ace, but is Loopswitch the brand you are recommending?

Comment

Okay I get that. However, let's say I have my guitar into the pedal, Loop A is my distortion and Loop B is my "chorus". So I can go from distortion (or turn it off for clean), to a clean chorus, but how do I get it chorus and distortion together? There's the AB mix option but I don't always want distortion and chorus on together.
                        With this pedal Angry Chair would be easy to play: B for clean chorus, then A for distortion, and back again. Smells like Teen Spirit: loop A with the distortion off then turn it on, then B for the clean chorus, then back to A but for the solo how would I be able to have the chorus come back on with the distortion?

My main objective is to stop trying to stomp on multiple pedals between sound changes, I'm trying to have one stomp to do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by grungeman55 View Post
                          Okay I get that. However, let's say I have my guitar into the pedal, Loop A is my distortion and Loop B is my "chorus". So I can go from distortion (or turn it off for clean), to a clean chorus, but how do I get it chorus and distortion together? There's the AB mix option but I don't always want distortion and chorus on together.
                          With this pedal Angry Chair would be easy to play: B for clean chorus, then A for distortion, and back again. Smells like Teen Spirit: loop A with the distortion off then turn it on, then B for the clean chorus, then back to A but for the solo how would I be able to have the chorus come back on with the distortion?

My main objective is to stop trying to stomp on multiple pedals between sound changes, I'm trying to have one stomp to do it all.
                          Then you need GuitarDoc's gadget. (Or the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher and Commander. Disaster Area makes something similar as well.) I'd advise learning the Guitarist Tap Dance Routine though, that's a lot of dough to spend just to minimize one stomp. In your example (Smells like Teen Spirit) you'd need 4 patches (clean, distortion, clean + chorus, distortion + chorus) It seems needlessly complicated to me, you'd have to make sure you are going to the right patch for each section of the song.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Then you need GuitarDoc's gadget. (Or the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher and Commander. Disaster Area makes something similar as well.) I'd advise learning the Guitarist Tap Dance Routine though, that's a lot of dough to spend just to minimize one stomp. In your example (Smells like Teen Spirit) you'd need 4 patches (clean, distortion, clean + chorus, distortion + chorus) It seems needlessly complicated to me, you'd have to make sure you are going to the right patch for each section of the song.
                            There are multiple ways to skin that particular cat besides the switchers you mentions. Lehle D.Loop (though you would need more than one and they are EXPENSIVE) and Carl Martin Octa Switch are also great ... you can also keep all your switching at your amp, including effects, and do the switching (including amp channels) with a MIDI controller, provided you have the right amp/switch/MIDI controller combination. Did did this for a while (about 2 years), but in the end went down to a single Road Rage dual loop switcher.

Doing anything like this goes way beyond the point of diminishing returns, however, as you said ... at one point you have to ask yourself 'is it worth it' just to prevent stepping on a chorus pedal now and then ...
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ah, sorry... I didn't mean to imply those were the only way, more that you need something of that complexity.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X