banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Zakk Wylde really use the stock Dunlop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Zakk Wylde really use the stock Dunlop?

I read the June "Guitar Player" with Zakk, and he says "I just get an AC/DC Back in Black type of gain from my JCM800s and kick on the Dunlop Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal when I need more." He says the other guitar player uses all the same stuff since he already has it ready to use. You think he uses the same one you can readily buy? If so, the "ACDC BIB" level of gain with a pedal that kicks into the stratosphere is exactly what I need.

Re: Does Zakk Wylde really use the stock Dunlop?

I don't see why he wouldn't; it's an excellent overdrive. He also uses active pickups, no?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      I don't see why he wouldn't; it's an excellent overdrive. He also uses active pickups, no?
      Rather than typing literally what TO has typed, I will quote it. I mean, he had Dunlop take a SD-1 and tweak it to his specs, I don't see why that wouldn't work exactly the way he wants. Also, JCM800s don't have that much gain by today's channel switching monster standards. Have you gotten a Marshall really loud then boosted it with a Tube Screamer? It's pretty fun...
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

This isn't the DEFINITIVE answer, but it is usually accurate or very close.
        I have seen some pics of his board and it seems legit.

Comment

That OD pedal of his is a monster. It adds so much chunk and crunch to any tone. It's easy to add gain to an amp, it's another thing to make an amps balls drop and become the sonic equivalent of a viking god's hammer blow, and that's what his OD does.

So yeah he probably uses stock pedals.
          Originally posted by Rockstar216
          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

a jcm 800 that's cranked up a bit (~2) with the preamp at 10 does sound like a cranked up plexi (~4).

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              a jcm 800 that's cranked up a bit (~2) with the preamp at 10 does sound like a cranked up plexi (~4).
              No, it doesn't.

JCM800s and Plexis feel and sound very different.

Comment

Totally feasible, I believe his SD-1 for the longest time was stock too; But remember he gets the luxury of cranking (~7) his amps as well. An overdrive (usually level cranked, distortion to taste) does wonders for an 800. I usually run my 800's with pre ~7, Master 3-5 (attenuated for smaller places) and man....when I kick on the TS-808 it just becomes a monster. His pickups and technique don't hurt either....I got to make sure I'm attacking my guitar pretty good to get the desired tone.

Also, 800 is a different beast to a plexi.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

jcm800 + emg's + zw44 = zakks tone

turn the 800 up past half way and squeal your heart out

Comment

Volume is a HUGE component to his tone. You're not getting anywhere near Zakk's tone at bedroom or even small gig volume with a JCM800. You need stadium or arena levels of ear bleed volume with EMGs and the OD pedal both pushing the front end along with EVM12L speakers in a 4x12 which are another big part of the tone.
                    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Trick question? The stock stuff is already modded to his specs .

Comment

I own the same amp he uses, and I've tried all of my OD pedals through it. Ironically, the cheapest one works the best with it....the MXR Classic OD, which is about the same as the Zakk Wylde pedal. There's an internal switch on those pedals, allowing you to choose which mode.

The Zakk Wylde mode has more squish, and the Classic OD mode sounds bolder.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Wow, right on. Thanks for these answers. I'm not looking for the Zakk tone per se. I just pieced a mini rig...Vox Night Train G2 15w that I am retubing with Saratov Reflector el84s and Beijing 12AX7s. I run it into a 1x12 30w Scumnico and it sounds great. I just wanted something that would give me a third(higher gain)channel, and it looks like I found it. Thanks again y'all...good stuff.
                          Last edited by revolution; 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I can attest to how loud he plays. I saw him at the Roseland Theater in Portland earlier in the year. IT WAS VERY LOUD!
                            Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                            If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                              No, it doesn't.

JCM800s and Plexis feel and sound very different.
                              plexis have more punch/snap and the 800 a bit more compressed at relatively lower volumes but when the power and preamp tube saturation hits, i find them to sound quite close.

Comment

Working...
                              X