banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Better the second time around... Bogner Red pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Better the second time around... Bogner Red pedal.

I picked-up a Bogner XTC Red pedal several weeks ago and have been playing it in front of the clean channel of my 100 watt Fender Supersonic Twin, set in Twin mode (versus Bassman mode).

So I get that broken glass, mid-scooped Fender Twin clean tone that (for me) is the best. And by rolling the treble off all the way on the Bogner Red pedal, I take that brittle high-end edge off that would normally be there playing the pedal through the amp in Twin mode. I have the Mid and Bass controls on the pedal set to 3:00. I'm using 20th XTC mode, B1 on the EQ, non-Plexi, and Variac set to off. And this thing ROARS. It sounds as good or better than my old XTC Classic and my friend's 101B that I had at my house for a while. It's just pi$$ed-off! I wish I had a real 20th XTC to compare it to, but I suspect that it'd hang with it. It's just got that pi$$y Bogner Red channel tone in spades. I love it!

When I had the Red pedal before (two years ago), I didn't care for the way it sounded into the clean amp that I had at the time. It was mushy. Well... I guess that was coming from the amp then, because this is very articulate with great note and string definition.

I'm digging this setup so much that I bought a Bogner Blue pedal to try into the Twin as well. It should have been here on Friday and didn't show. So I will be expecting it on Monday. I had been thinking about picking-up a 20th Anni XTC down the road just to try. But if the Blue pedal sounds as good as the Red Pedal, then there'll be no need for that.

If you've always been curious about a Bogner and never been able to afford one, I would suggest trying one of these pedals if you can. Reinhold really did capture the heart of his XTC amps with these pedals!
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: NPD: Better the second time around... Bogner Red pedal.

congrats on a killer pedal. there are a lot of fantastic tones in that box. it's pretty crazy.

Comment

Yeah, those pedals sound great in front of a Fender running clean. I still haven't gotten around to picking one up yet, but the time I tried a Red in front of a Hot Rod Deluxe was awesome. Great tones in those pedals.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        Yeah, those pedals sound great in front of a Fender running clean. I still haven't gotten around to picking one up yet, but the time I tried a Red in front of a Hot Rod Deluxe was awesome. Great tones in those pedals.
        They definitely NAIL his amp tones. I got the Blue in today and dig it. It's totally an XTC Blue channel. Nowhere near as much gain as on the red pedal. I would definitely recommend anyone wanting one to go with the Red if they like plenty of gain. One can use the adjustable boost to add plenty of gain, but it loses its tightness then. The Red pedal stays tighter at higher gain levels. But the Blue has that open-wah Blue channel tone that so many guys love about the XTC. Red's got it too, just not as much as the Blue.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

I love the red and blue, and have even enjoyed messing with my Ubershall pedal as well.

This thread reminds me that I need to start experimenting with running them into FX returns, power amps, and mixing boards, and see how I like them in that situation, since Bogner pedals sound so good into very clean amps, unlike most OD/Dist boxes.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I had the red but own the blue still, my new Lovepedal Hi Volt is similar to the red with a nicer top end and lots of low end tightness! It might better over the red, wish I could a/b them. The 16 volts is super smooth that has that spongy feel sorta.Has the fatness of the Bogners with the boost on so thats a major plus. Running mine with the 68 Custom twin
            tone slut
            Marshall DSL 40C
            Fender EVH Striped Series
            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
            Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              I love the red and blue, and have even enjoyed messing with my Ubershall pedal as well.

This thread reminds me that I need to start experimenting with running them into FX returns, power amps, and mixing boards, and see how I like them in that situation, since Bogner pedals sound so good into very clean amps, unlike most OD/Dist boxes.
              I have an Ubershall that I picked up used awhile back and it does work well going into a a loop return. I ran it into the return of the poweramp insert loop of my JVM that way and it sounded great.
              Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 01-14-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I have an Ubershall that I picked up used awhile back and it does work well going into a a loop return. I reied it into the poweramp insert loop of my JVM that way and it sounded great.
                Does the Uberschall pedal really capture that BIG sound of the real thing? I had a Twin Jet in my possession for a few weeks and it was just a BEAST. Sounded orgasmic running in stereo with my XTC. BIG, girthy tone!

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                  Does the Uberschall pedal really capture that BIG sound of the real thing? I had a Twin Jet in my possession for a few weeks and it was just a BEAST. Sounded orgasmic running in stereo with my XTC. BIG, girthy tone!
                  I don't know, because I've never heard a Bogner amp in person. It does have a good gnarly tone, but it doesn't have as much gain as the Red.

Comment

Makes me wonder what one would sound like in front of a Roland JC-120 or a Cube 80 on one of the clean settings.

Comment

I don't know, because I've never heard a Bogner amp in person. It does have a good gnarly tone, but it doesn't have as much gain as the Red.
                      Now that surprises me! Red pedal definitely gainy, but the Uber should have even more gain. Either way... max gain I use on the Red it noon. The older I get, the less gain I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                        Now that surprises me! Red pedal definitely gainy, but the Uber should have even more gain. Either way... max gain I use on the Red it noon. The older I get, the less gain I like.
                        It surprised me too, but that's the way it is. The boost on the Uberschall is also volume only. I suppose there's a reason the gain is limited on it.

And on a side note, the other day on one of my days off (they vary since I went back to driving truck) I went to Pro Music in Des Moines with the intent of putting some cash down on a used Rivera Knucklehead Tre half stack that's been sitting there for awhile. It even has the K312 cab which is fairly rare. Tried it out, but beyond the thunder I could dial in with the sub, it didn't sound a whole lot different from some of the tones I an get with my JVM. So I passed on it.

So I tried out a used Super Sonic 60 head that they've had for a couple years, and damn man, you are right, the cleans on that thing are absolutely beautiful. So I went ahead and bought a XTC Red and put down a chunk on the Super Sonic.

I also A/B'd the Red against the Uberschall, and I can see how those two tones would go well together. And since you say that you like the Red's gain set at about noon, you'll probably like the Uber just fine. It's when you get to that 2 o'clock area that the Red starts to walk away from the Uber.

Comment

It surprised me too, but that's the way it is. The boost on the Uberschall is also volume only. I suppose there's a reason the gain is limited on it.

And on a side note, the other day on one of my days off (they vary since I went back to driving truck) I went to Pro Music in Des Moines with the intent of putting some cash down on a used Rivera Knucklehead Tre half stack that's been sitting there for awhile. It even has the K312 cab which is fairly rare. Tried it out, but beyond the thunder I could dial in with the sub, it didn't sound a whole lot different from some of the tones I an get with my JVM. So I passed on it.

So I tried out a used Super Sonic 60 head that they've had for a couple years, and damn man, you are right, the cleans on that thing are absolutely beautiful. So I went ahead and bought a XTC Red and put down a chunk on the Super Sonic.

I also A/B'd the Red against the Uberschall, and I can see how those two tones would go well together. And since you say that you like the Red's gain set at about noon, you'll probably like the Uber just fine. It's when you get to that 2 o'clock area that the Red starts to walk away from the Uber.
                          That's awesome bud! Congrats. I may eventually end-up with a 60 to go with my Twin as well. Seems like there are good deals to be found on them. I'm just sitting-down with my Blue and Red pedals running into the Twin right now. I was running them both into my Ceriatone JTM45 the other day and they sound great into that as well. I think that they thrive on mostly-clean amps. Big amp week this week. Freidman Pink Taco shows up tomorrow and the Certiatone Chupacabra should be close behind. When it rains it pours!

Comment

Working...
                          X