banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which delays can handle line level/FX loop and are quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which delays can handle line level/FX loop and are quality?

So, I have an Allston Overdrive COmbo MKII. It is an amazing custom made amp from Boston and has a clean channel with the dirty channel having an OD and HRM mode. Additionally, each channel or mode has an adjustable boost via a tone-bypass function. So you have 6 selectable sounds, just from the amp. You can go from spanky cleans to searing high gain tones that will melt your face all the way back to some juicey Dumble style OD tones. There is currently a 18 month waiting period on these amps.

So, I'm really not looking at using any sort of dirt boxes on my board(perhaps a Zvex Hard On, but that's along story). I am looking at utilizing the FX loop, since I will be using all of the built in overdrive and distortion and prefer the sound of delay after dirt.

I have my hands on an Eventide TIme Factor and know that is incredible, but I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of knobs and buttons. Being visually impaired and not being able to read or see the LCD screen, memorizing the layout of the unit and functions is challenging and I can see myself getting lost in the moment at a gig or rehersal. I am thinking about getting another delay unit that is perhaps a bit more simple in design and easier to navigate.

From what I've been reading, and from what Rob Lohr (the builder of my amp) has told me, some pedals, most, are not able to handle the load that comes thorugh the FX loop and will fry over time and do not sound as good as a unit like the Eventide or other rackmount, as they are designed to handle the signal and power coming through the FX loop.

Which delays have the ability to be placed in the loop and not suck tone nor eventually fry? I've read online that TC actually built the flashback series to be able to handle the FX loop. I know that Rob has the FX loop set at +4db. Any other suggestions for a more simple, but quality delay that can go through the loop?
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: Which delays can handle line level/FX loop and are quality?

The one that comes to my mind is the Boss DD-20, though you may not need all that power.

One of the things I like about my Mesa amps is that you have some control over the levels of the efx send and return. I've used standard effects in the loop without any issues.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

You're not going to "fry" anything, but line level can overdrive the input stage of a standard effects box. The three that immediately come to mind are Eventide, Strymon and T.C. electronic. Unfortunately you already know about two of them. I used to use a Line 6 Echo Park and Verbzilla in the loop of my Mesa, but there was some tone coloration. Good luck, most of the Line Level delays were rack units, maybe there are more pedals released recently.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

While not on the same level as the Eventide you are currently using, the Digitech Hardwire pedals are very easy to use, sound great, and can handle line levels.

You can also check out the Ebtech Line Level Shifter, with it you can use instrument level effects in the line level effects loop, which would open you up to analog delays like the MXR Carbon Copy.

Comment

If you already have the eventide, just spend some time learning it. After some time... it should be simple to make subtle changes on the fly. I had to do that with my timeline

Comment

keep in mind that I can not see a dang and the LCD screen is of no use to me lol... I am thinking about looking into the Nova Delay or the flash back X4... I also heard the DD20 would work well, but need to hold one in my hands to get a feel for it.
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

Working...
            X