banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm digging the sound of my Fuzz Face placed AFTER other effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm digging the sound of my Fuzz Face placed AFTER other effects.

I'm using the FF silicon mini and I've always been fine with it placed after my compressor and my wah. I don't quite understand exactly why the fuzz face has to go first. I like the sound of it placed first, but the sound of it after the wah and comp has more sizzle and harmonics that gets close to an Octavia effect. Is that what I'm hearing?

Also, the sound of it after the compressor when the compressor is on is cool too. The midrange is boosted and things clear up a lot.

Just curious because i often read things saying that the Fuzz Face must always be first in the chain. I understand the rule that what sounds good works but I'd like to know why it works for me and maybe who also makes it work.
    Gear:
    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
    Epi Dot Natural
    Partscaster blackie
    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Re: I'm digging the sound of my Fuzz Face placed AFTER other effects.

glad its working for you.
    Personally i find a big difference between running a fuzz face on its own (ie. no other pedals whether true bypass or otherwise) and/or running it before or after other effects.
    If you like how it works in your scenario then enjoy!
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Well the way a fuzz pedal is 'meant' to be used is for it's dynamic range. The whole purpose is that you can roll down the volume knob on your guitar and get a slightly fuzzy clean tone, or you can get an overdrive tone with it. The dynamic range on a fuzz is generally significantly more than the dynamic range on a distortion or overdrive pedal, something to do with how the fuzz handles input. They have picky impedance needs to sound 'optimal'.

Thats why a buffer is generally seen as a bad thing to place before a fuzz pedal, it messes up that input, and takes away the dynamic range. What you end up with is a fuzz on 11 sound, and when you turn it down it's still a fuzz on 10 sound. This is the same reason that most people wouldn't advise high output pickups with a fuzz, you lose that dynamic range that the fuzzes are famous for.

That being said, the last rule of all tone is that your ears know best in the end. Whatever works for you, works for you, rules aside. All the modulation on my board is in a weird place, most of it is before my dirt pedals, another 'tone faux pas' but I prefer the earthier, more 'vintage' tone.
      Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
      I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
      Andrew - None

Comment

What kind of wah and compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've got the Malekko comp and the boss PW10 Vwah.

Guitar->pedals->amp
          Gear:
          Epi Dot Natural
          Partscaster blackie
          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >

Comment

Ok, so you dig having a buffer in front of your fuzz.

I get the more sizzle statement but for me it ruins the tone and dynamic nature of a nice fuzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Haha, yeah it's like a different effect altogether.

Guitar->pedals->amp
              Gear:
              Epi Dot Natural
              Partscaster blackie

Comment

Working...
              X