EHX East River Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX East River Drive

Anybody have any input on this pedal? I'm interested in possibly getting one to replace my TS9, as the ERD is true bypass. How does it compare in terms of touch sensitivity? IME the TS9 is not terribly responsive to pick attack alone, decent but nothing to write home about, but does well with volume knob adjustments. How does the ERD compare tonally to the TS9? The demo from EHX and the similar chip base between the two lead me to believe that they are similar, but has anyone A/B's them? Thanks.

Re: EHX East River Drive

its pretty much the same thing.
    if you want the tube screamer type sound but with more touch sensitivity, check out the lovepedal eternity or one of its many clones. It is a tube screamer circuit, but with both the input and output buffers removed, so essentially your guitar signal is going through less "stuff". It also has a bit more low end than most tube screamer type circuits.
    And of course it is true bypass when its off too.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Wouldn't it be the same thing then to just remove the buffers from the TS9? And rewire for true bypass. The tone of the TS doesn't bother me, I use it to help add a bit of top end. My problem with it is really that even though I'm just using it as a boost it feels as though it is almost too much as I lose headroom compared to if I plug straight into my amp. My best solution might be to just get myself an EQ pedal, but I liked the TS9's tone, simple and it got the job done well.

Comment

yes you could remove the buffers from the ts9 and rewire it for true bypass as well if you are of a mind to do some modifications. The options are almost endless.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a EHX East River Drive... and I am loving it. Great pedal for the price... Hell of a TS pedal!

I dunno how to put it, but it kinda sounds (to me) somewhat different when compared with an Eternity. Yeah both are TS variations, but so is a Timmy... no?

The pedal that I know beats it (EHX East River) without any doubt is a MJM Phantom. Now that one is my favorite TS. I dunno what deal with that pedal is, but it sounds really great.

But then again, for the price I'd go for the East River Drive. In fact, I did... Yeah yeah... I know, I am a pedal junkie!

Peace!

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

is timmy that similar to a ts? i havent looked at a schematic to know. i just know i like timmy a lot. a ts is a fine pedal and i like mine, but its nothing like timmy

Comment

It does not sound like one. At all!

But as far as I remember (which, of course may be wrong) Timmy is also based on a TS topology.

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                I dunno how to put it, but it kinda sounds (to me) somewhat different when compared with an Eternity. Yeah both are TS variations, but so is a Timmy... no?
                yes the ts and the eternity sound a lot different. The eternity cuts off the bass at a much lower frequency and its a lot more dynamic and responsive. Thats why i suggested it based on what the Op was asking.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The Eternity also seems to be discontinued and is fetching a pretty penny on Ebay - is it that much more complex than your average TS type pedal?

Dr. Barlo, how dynamic is the ERD compared to the TS9 in your experience? I might just be barking up the wrong tree though, I am using the TS in front of a pretty crunched up amp already so turning it off might be the only way to really get the dynamics I'm looking for.

Comment

I have the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod, it has four modes, Standard: TS808, Lead which to me sounds more like a TS9, Rhythm wich has some mid cut, and high gain which is a little more modern sounding. Very versatile pedal at a very reasonable price.
                    it also can blend the clean and drive signals, or be used for a true clean boost.
                    Last edited by allbutromeo; 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I owned a ts-808. never checking out another TS type pedal...

Comment

Originally posted by Aasinsilta View Post
                        The Eternity also seems to be discontinued and is fetching a pretty penny on Ebay - is it that much more complex than your average TS type pedal?
                        no. its actually a whole bunch simpler.

....anyways ill shut up about the eternity now cos im derailing the thread.
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Simpler but it costs more, genius :P I'm guessing that they pay fairly at least hehe.

As for the original question, I took the TS out of the loop for now and played with the EQ and gain a bit. Tad less sizzle on the top end, but much more responsive now. Actually is a bit fuller by comparison. I'll see how this plays out.

Comment

Get the east river drive... It's hell of a TS... And cheap!

B

Comment

BTW, Voodoo Sparkle Mod is a great pedal, but a bit more expensive. If you are ok with its price, go for it. It'll give you more spectrum.

... and I find the following vid of mine somewhat helpful... ERD sorta sounds like the MJM Phantom (a regular TS808).

B

Comment

Working...
                              X