Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss CS-3 Compressor vs. Wampler Ego Compressor

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I am philosophically AGAINST the blend. I think it is for people that really just want a sustainer. Any compressor with an attack control can do that.

That said - of the comps listed, I only have CS3 experience. However - you are an idiot if you don't think the Wampler or the Duncan are better in every way than a CS3.

Now - full disclosure - I have a Monte Allums modded CS3 and I could care less about having another.

As always - if you want an effect - get an MXR Dynacomp. If you need basic compression, get a CS3. If you need more....don'ty ask until you have figured out what to do with BOTH of those.
    Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    Having a blend knob is the same idea as using parallel compression in the studio. A typical use would be the drum bus where you'd squash the signal with a fast, aggressive compressor and then mix it less than 100% to restore some of the attack. The squashed signal and makeup gain sounds big while the drum sound overall retains punch because of the clean signal. You could sort of fake it with attack and release controls, but it wouldn't sound the same.

For guitar I only like to use a compressor pedal when playing clean, and I use it as an effect (along with my CE-2) for that 80s Jazz Chorus sound. I have a MIJ CS-3 which is a totally different beast than the current version; it's essentially a CS-2 with a tone control.
    We’ve had the blend knob conversation a few times, most notably:
    Compressors

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
      I asked this in another thread but just wondering how you thought the Vise grip stacked up against the Ego?
      They are both top quality compressors but different flavors. Vise grip is VCA IIRC and the Ego is a Ross, so OTA. You can’t go wrong with any but might like one more than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If the Ego is based on a Ross, it would be more squishy and be more of an 'effect'. The Vise Grip can sound very transparent or get very squishy, so there is that versatility.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The Vise Grip can sound very transparent or get very squishy, so there is that versatility.
          You mean like a CS3 or a Dynacomp with the level really low? OK - maybe not the Dynacomp....

Best Compressor advice ever - and I heard it here in this room: Set it until you just notice it, then turn it back a touch.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

High Gain Metal;

For adding some thickness and mid-punch with only a tiny amount of extra squash and no filtering of the bottom or top I really like running my MXR EQ-6 right after the boost/od.
            I leave the edges at 0db and then frown-up the mids to whatever sounds best.

Just kicking some extra dbs in the mids will push the amp's dirt more, thereby evening-out the picking dynamics slightly.
            Last edited by dave74; 04-29-2018, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              You mean like a CS3 or a Dynacomp with the level really low? OK - maybe not the Dynacomp....

Best Compressor advice ever - and I heard it here in this room: Set it until you just notice it, then turn it back a touch.
              Or... turn it up until you can just hear it, then turn it up even more and start chicken pickin’!
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Or... turn it up until you can just hear it, then turn it up even more and start chicken pickin’!
                Are you plucking with me?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

a lot of country pickers don't use compressors at all. It was a real 90s thing.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X