Guitar Pedal settings/HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Pedal settings/HELP

I have a BossŪ DS-1 Distortion pedal and the DD-3 Delay pedal. I'm trying to make this combo sound amazing. I'm not used to individual pedals since I have used mostly floor processors since I started playing. I'm running through a Randall RX-120 Head and 4-12 cab. Any help on the settings for both is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Re: Guitar Pedal settings/HELP

Fiddle with the knobs until you find something you like.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I have tried and it's tough since I'm used to having all those amp models and presets already pre-programmed in a processor.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
        I have tried and it's tough since I'm used to having all those amp models and presets already pre-programmed in a processor.
        I have a POD and I have no idea what your talking about preprogrammed. I had to program all my patches and tones, and it was a pain. Just put everything at 12 o clock and see how it is, then use each knob to figure out what they do to the tone and then determine what you like and what you don't. It's how we all have/ had to do it.
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Scoop the mids!! I am only kidding of course. Like the Kid pointed out, it's always a good idea to set everything at halfway up and begin making your adjustments from there on any kind of equipment.
          Soundcloud

Comment

The other question I have is - do you need the DS-1 on top of the Randall's dirty channel? Or are you just wanting to use it with the clean channel as a different color?

Comment

I like setting the DS-1 as a slightly dirty booster. Volume up high with a little gain, and the tone rolled slightly off (ds1 cuts bass, by rolling off the tone you can use the pedal as a mid boost). This pushes your tube amp a little harder and usually sounds nice as a lead boost.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I like setting the DS-1 as a slightly dirty booster. Volume up high with a little gain, and the tone rolled slightly off (ds1 cuts bass, by rolling off the tone you can use the pedal as a mid boost). This pushes your tube amp a little harder and usually sounds nice as a lead boost.
                So your saying you're using it kind of like a pickup booster by using those settings?

Comment

The Randall RX120 isn't a tube head, though.
                  ---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                    The Randall RX120 isn't a tube head, though.
                    Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                      So your saying you're using it kind of like a pickup booster by using those settings?
                      It gives you one more, like turning your amps knobs up to 11.

If you're not running a tube amp, I have no idea if this setting would still work.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I hate to be this guy, but you probably wont be able to make that gear sound "amazing". But you should be able to attain "pretty good".

First recognize what you want to change about your tone. I'm not sure how you plan to run the Randall, but it sounds like a low to mid-gain crunch is the best way to go for a base tone. I'm assuming you'd rather not use the dirty channel of the amp, and I wouldn't recommend running the distortion on top of it. However you can get a slight breakup, start there.

I'd use the DS-1 as others have said, and just push the amp a bit using a low gain setting, and the output at unity. Tweak tone to taste.

Try something like: Gain 9:00, Level 11:00, Tone 1:00

For the delay, I'd stick to a short, subtle one or two repeat echo if you want it on all the time. Something like the way EVH used his EP3. Keep the Level and Feedback low, and the Delay between around 800 milliseconds.

I'm not saying these will be perfect settings, maybe you won't like it at all. But it should be an ok starting point. Good luck!
                        Originally posted by Rockstar216
                        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I mean, when I bought pedals, I never bought something that I couldn't get a good tone out of, so if you're not doing it with this gear, trade in and trade up.
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

ditch the pedals for a few weeks and see what you can coax out of the two channels on your amp. See if you can't find a good clean tone and a good crunch tone. Don't forget that on either channel, you can use your volume on the guitar to roll back and get a quieter and slightly less present rhythm tone, then wind back up to 10 for a cutting lead sound.
                            After a couple of weeks of playing, listenign and fine tuning, if you really feel the need, add the ds-1. Set the gain at zero and set the volume and tone for as close to unity as you can, then dial in the gain a little at a time, depending on how far you want to get into that "leap off the cliff" screaming lead territory.
                            After you get comfy with all those sounds, place you delay in the fx loop of the amp, because placing it before the dirty preamp will create a godawful mess.
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A friend of mine suggests that the best use of a DS-1 is for target practice. I used to have one and to be brutally honest it's one of the worst sounding distortion pedals ever made (some people will disagree of course). A decent tube screamer like a Maxxon or Ibanez TS-9 will give you the warm tone you want. For heavier sounds I will defer to others who know more on the pedal front, I generally use amp gain for my heavy stuff. I've used a MXR Dist. III for this purpose but I am sure there are better pedals out there.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X