About the Bogner Extasy Red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the Bogner Extasy Red?

The other day I brought home my Fender Super Sonic 60 head and finally had the chance to play my Bogner Extasy Red through it on Monday. I picked up the Bogner a few weeks ago and didn't like how it sounded in front of my other amps, so I ended up shelving it until I payed off the layaway for the Super Sonic. So this was the first time I really had a chance to put it the Bogner through it's paces.

So far I'm happy with it and have been able to dial in all of my favorite tones that I can get out of my modded Marshall JVM's overdrive channels, and because of the pedal, I discovered a few more tones lurking in the JVM I hadn't explored.

One of the mods I did to my JVM was to add potientometers in place of the slope resistors on the clean, OD1, and OD2 channels, so because of that I've developed an ear for changes in the center frequency of the mid control. And one thing I noticed when messing with the bass control on the Bogner was that the mid center frequency seemed to move along with the bass control.

Does anybody know of the slope resistor on the Extasy Red pedal or on the Red Channel of the Extasy head is coupled to the bass control?
    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 02-18-2015, 08:54 PM.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Re: About the Bogner Extasy Red?

Or is there some other interaction that I don't quite understand?

Comment

So the center frequency of the bass control changes relative to the amount of cut (or boost and cut if it's an active tone circuit)?

Comment

No.

The bass control also seems to effect the center frequency of the mid control. Or at least that's what I'm hearing.

Comment

At this point, I find this conversation equivalent to criticizing a gorgeous super model because of a tiny mole on her ankle. I would find it extremely difficult to get a bad tone out of that pedal or any Bogner for that matter. How would changing how the EQ controls interact affect how a pedal sounds through the preamp? I'm assuming front end means preamp as opposed to FX loop??? What does this all mean for the layperson?

Comment

Not criticizing so much as trying to get a sense of how the circuit is wired up and how the tone controls react.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Not criticizing so much as trying to get a sense of how the circuit is wired up and how the tone controls react.
              Exactly, I'm not criticizing Bogner at all. I'm just curious about the tone circuit. If what my ears are telling me is true, I think it's a great design feature, because being able to vary the slope resistor value is a very powerful tone shaping tool.

I learned this back when I added the mid shift controls to my JVM. Turn the potentiometer down around 33k - 47k and you have classic Marshall/Fender Tweed tones, but turn it up to the 90k - 100k neighborhood and you get Fender Blackface/modern low-mid focused tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                Exactly, I'm not criticizing Bogner at all. I'm just curious about the tone circuit. If what my ears are telling me is true, I think it's a great design feature, because being able to vary the slope resistor value is a very powerful tone shaping tool.

I learned this back when I added the mid shift controls to my JVM. Turn the potentiometer down around 33k - 47k and you have classic Marshall/Fender Tweed tones, but turn it up to the 90k - 100k neighborhood and you get Fender Blackface/modern low-mid focused tones.
                I know you were not being critical, I just meant that it seems like such a nuance that it must be within the tolerance of the way any pedal interacts it seems difficult to even discern the difference. Is it really that significant? I'm asking because I would like to know whether some simple modification might help make a control on my pedal less or more about interactive. I'd be willing to try it but it sounds like it really only applies specifically to that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by HeftyMetalGuitar View Post
                  I know you were not being critical, I just meant that it seems like such a nuance that it must be within the tolerance of the way any pedal interacts it seems difficult to even discern the difference. Is it really that significant? I'm asking because I would like to know whether some simple modification might help make a control on my pedal less or more about interactive. I'd be willing to try it but it sounds like it really only applies specifically to that amp.
                  Yes, it makes a difference, and any Marshall/Fender/Vox style tone stack can be modded in this manner.

And I'm not necessarily saying that my pedal is set up this way, because there may be some other interaction going on that I don't understand. Hence the reason I posted the question in the first place.
                  Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

The slope resistor in a passive tone stack is rarely variable - sometimes switchable to two or three values, which I agree is useful.

However, its true, particularly in the most prevalent and common, passive tone stack(s), that the center that the mid frequency varies significantly when you change the knobs.

You'll notice it a lot more when one is EQing post-distortion, especially high gain stuff. It's somewhat the nature of the most common passive EQ controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquids View Post
                      The slope resistor in a passive tone stack is rarely variable - sometimes switchable to two or three values, which I agree is useful.
                      I replaced the slope resistors for the Clean, OD1, and OD2 channels with a 100k pot and a 22k resistor for each channel in my JVM, so on those channels, the slope resistor is variable between 22k - 122k.

However, its true, particularly in the most prevalent and common, passive tone stack(s), that the center that the mid frequency varies significantly when you change the knobs.
                      I am aware of that, but the interactions I'm hearing between the bass control and the mids is a little more unusual than what I've heard before. When the bass is cranked, the low mids come up. When you turn the bass control down, the bass doesn't start tapering off until about 3 o'clock, but the low mids do taper off right away until about 2 o'clock, where they seem to bottom out. The mid control is normally functional through all of this.

You'll notice it a lot more when one is EQing post-distortion, especially high gain stuff. It's somewhat the nature of the most common passive EQ controls.
                      Good point.

Comment

I think I've figured it out. I've been messing with a tone stack simulator and I think what I'm hearing is the bass curve squaring off and then moving up towards the mids. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, and I think it's great. It makes for a very useful tone circuit.

Comment

Working...
                        X