banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

know of a good Siamese Dream Big Muff Style pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• know of a good Siamese Dream Big Muff Style pedal?

I'm looking for something that will give me that old big muff style creamy tone. I can get great sounds out of the current NYC reissue but I'm hoping for something smaller and if it sounds a little more like the older muffs better.

Re: know of a good Siamese Dream Big Muff Style pedal?

Guitar effects pedals designed and made in America. Find the tone in your head! Classic rock in a box. Old-school craftsmanship meets innovative design.

Skreddy's Muffs are the best (I've got 3!) but basically every builder does a Triangle/Ram's Head and a Russian style Muff. The key is to look for a mids control. The stock tonestack, while signature and awesome, also gives a serious scoop. By adding some mids back in it helps with that creamy tone.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-27-2015, 07:36 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i've had good results with this pedal
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I think that was an Opamp muff on Siamese Dream. Something a little different from the regular offerings.

Comment

I had this for a while and it nailed that tone as much as any one guitar can.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

It's an opamp muff. I'm not going for that sound, but friend just built one for me recently. I still need to pick it up.

Comment

Two things you can do to make your exisying muff "creamier" and meatier.
              1. Swap the first set of clippers to LED's for less buzz
              2. Swap out the 4n cap in the tone section for a 10n to flatten the frequency response. The pic below shows the green line being the stock tone arrangement and the pink line is with the 10n cap. You can use any value in between to fine tune the amount of scoop.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	muff .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	5784409
              I did these to my homemade russian muff clone because i wanted less buzz and more mids. A friend brought over his original green russian tank muff to hear the difference and he definitely prefered the sound of the modded one. He ended up selling his russian after he realized there is no magical mojo in there, and i sold my pharaoh too because this just sounded better! These are easy and cheap mods you can do with about 50c worth of parts from your local electronics store. Easy and reversible.

Or you could try the EG big muff tone wicker or even the bass muff for a russian style sound, or even try a swollen pickle or pharaoh or you could spend a lot of money on the various boutique muff clones out there until you find the recipe that suits you best. The pedal used by BIlly Corgan is just a pedal, and only part of the equation with your guitar, amp and speakers.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-27-2015, 06:58 PM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Excellent post.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                  http://blakemoreeffects.com/?page_id=302

I had this for a while and it nailed that tone as much as any one guitar can.
                  I currently have the DreamsICle, and it is based on the omamp/ic big muff made famous by Siamese Dream. The other pedals listed also do the job, but why pay $200+? The Blakemore can be found used for $150 or less, and it has a footswitchable tone bypass that could be used as a lead boost. Also Made by Mike has the Dream Box, check that as well. Tons of Siamese Dream muffs, I'd say just get the cheapest one

Comment

Working...
                  X