New Pickup Booster + Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickup Booster + Wireless

I know that the old Pickup Booster's Resonance switch didn't work very well with a wireless system, but I'm wondering if the new one works any better? Particularly with the digital wireless systems available today.

Has anybody tried it?

I've got a new Pickup Booster that'll be going on to my pedalboard shortly and have been toying with the idea of another wireless system.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: New Pickup Booster + Wireless

Nobody?

Comment

So my best guess is that it doesn't unless the new one uses a completely different system to change the "resonance" - the old one loaded the pickups themselves, to get a similar effect you'd need a couple of resistors/capacitors rather than just a change in input impedance
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Yes the wireless will come out low impedance and the resonance switches are pretty much dead. But the same thing happens if you position the Booster after any other buffered bypass pedal, tuner, etc, or if you have active pickups. The resonance switch is really only useful with a passive pickup directly into the pedal, with a cable.

The new Booster input impedance is listed at 250k as well, which means, that if you DO use it with passive pickups, then setting the resonance to Flat will not yield a flat boost, because it'll be like putting another 250k potentiometer on your guitar. It's a heavy load. Again, not a big deal with a wireless though. Lots of paradoxes when using this new one in the real world.

Comment

I'm mostly thinking of using the Pickup Booster to give my G&L Legacy a push as it's a little quiet compared to my PRS McCarty, and thought it'd be fun to use the resonance switch every now and again with the Legacy for those more 80's rock moments!

I don't currently use a wireless system, but there are some good deals on the Line 6 G30 at the moment so was thinking of giving it a try. Obviously I'll still get a bit of a boost using the Pickup Booster with the flat resonance and it was more out of curiosity really.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
            I'm mostly thinking of using the Pickup Booster to give my G&L Legacy a push as it's a little quiet compared to my PRS McCarty, and thought it'd be fun to use the resonance switch every now and again with the Legacy for those more 80's rock moments!

I don't currently use a wireless system, but there are some good deals on the Line 6 G30 at the moment so was thinking of giving it a try. Obviously I'll still get a bit of a boost using the Pickup Booster with the flat resonance and it was more out of curiosity really.

FYI, not to completely derail things, I went straight to the G50 after reading A LOT of reports that the battery door on the G30 transmitter likes to break A LOT.
            Nope...

Comment

Yeah, I've read a couple of reviews that mentioned the battery door.

Comment

Working...
              X