What is the best fuzz for a Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best fuzz for a Marshall

i am talking gritty nasty fuzz. Like bees in a tin can fuzz. A lot of low end grind would be nice.

Re: What is the best fuzz for a Marshall

ramsheads are great. biting but with a tone control.
    The other one thats good and biting and shapeable is the voodoo labs superfuzz. It has some rat like tendencies which is always a pretty cool thing with a marshall.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

That looks cool. What I am after is that Dave Davies/Link Ray torn cone sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        i am talking gritty nasty fuzz. Like bees in a tin can fuzz. A lot of low end grind would be nice.
        I'd think the JCM2000 would be able to pull that kind of tone off without a stompbox.

Comment

I always wanted to try Mahoney pedals, they sound pretty nasty in clips

Comment

I've always associated the Maestro, Bosstone and Fuzz-Rite with the nasty 60's fuzz tones. However, they are anything but heavy in low end grind. I have a few clones (Maestro and Fuzz-Rite) and I was honestly surprised how bright they are the first time I fired them up. I think the aforementioned Voodoo Lab as well as the Analogman Peppermint Fuzz get those types of tones but with moder appointments that allow them to integrate with a modern rig better.

That being said, a Fuzz Face and a Marshall is so classic... Silicon for the extra nastiness, bass and saturation. On the other end of the tonal spectrum (and really embodying the low end grind) are Russian Muffs and their brethren. Pharaoh, Hoof, Supercollider, Swollen Pickle , etc. I think those are way too smooth for what you are looking for though.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Cool info

Comment

A Ratt. Or a TT-Mayhem. Maybe even just a Tubescreamer of sorts. Wait, "bees in a can but with low end", that describes a stock Boss MT-2 Metalzone.

Comment

Get an Eric Johnson Fuzz Face. Out of the ones I have, such as the Jimi, Bonamassa, and Eric Johnson, the EJ may be the closest to what you're looking for. Although, the Jimi or mini Jimi would be a good choice as well.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If your after nasty azz stanky danky fuzz you can always find an old DOD FX52. Its not a soft dynamic fuzz like a fuzz face.... its closer to a big muff but less refined.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      A Ratt. Or a TT-Mayhem. Maybe even just a Tubescreamer of sorts. Wait, "bees in a can but with low end", that describes a stock Boss MT-2 Metalzone.
                      Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother uses a Boss MT-2 Metalzone and that is pretty close to the tone I am looking for. I think I will give one a run.

Comment

The germanium fuzz face just works well with Marshall amps.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          That looks cool. What I am after is that Dave Davies/Link Ray torn cone sound.
                          Maybe one of these?....

but i'd still go for a voodoo. In reality it is a jordan bosstone which is one of the nastiest, most broken sounding fuzzes ever, but tweaked to realize the circuit's full potential to allow you to go from thin and nasty to fat and meaty.
                          Here is the most famous example of a bosstone:
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

i love my sunface and i dont set it like that but if you adjust the bias you can get a very splatty aggressive tone

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              I might be forced to buy that. Norman Greenbaum is from my hometown. My Uncle and I were talking about him just the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X