Compression pedal < 50$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression pedal < 50$

Hi I'm looking for a new compression pedal which works fine and it's cheap. I've found there is T-Rex Tonebug Sustainer 60% off in my guitar shop so its only like 40$ now. Is it worth?

Re: Compression pedal &lt; 50$

For around $50 you can do better. The tonebug is really subtle to the point that it is almost undetectable. There are lots of choices and it really depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to squish your sound, I suggest a used Dynacomp or used Chicago Stompworks Squeezy or build your own orange squeezer clone (very easy first build). If you are looking to increase clean sustain or make chords more chimey, I suggest looking into something with a blend knob which will increase your price to about $80. If you are looking for the latter, I suggest a used Xotic SP or Pigtronix philosopher's tone.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

All these pedals are a bit pricey, MXR coasts more than 2x as much as T-Rex, the same with Boss so I'm looking for a bit cheaper stuff.

Comment

You can get the MXR Dyna Comp used on ebay for under $50 pretty easily.

I've heard decent things about the Joyo comp, but I've never played it myself. Joyo is a good option for cheaper pedals.
        Go Packers!

Comment

I sold my MXR Dynacomp on Reverb for about $50 shipped and got my Philosophers Tone for $75 on ebay. If you shop used on ebay, craigslist, reverb, and even guitar center, good deals are out there.
          "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Marshall used to make a decent compressor . . . the ED-1 . They sound decent, and there isn't much buzz around them. You could probably pick a used one up for next to nothing. Might be worth checking out.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You can definitely find a used Boss CS-3. It's a good comp, I love mine. Sure, it's not a rackmount, studio quality comp but for $50 or under the Boss CS-3 has never failed me for either guitar or bass.

On a side-note: I like my comp to be my one non-true bypass in my chain. It can be beneficial to have one buffer in your chain if you are using low output pickups like I do: http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=1611
              Soundcloud

Comment

So, I'm buying comp pedal "again" and I think I'll go with Dyna Comp. When I was in local store trying out compressors I was suprised how ****ty T-Rex Sustainer really was so I tryed Boss CS-3, didn't like it, I tried T-Rex Comp Nova which was too expensive and I got Boss BD-2 at the end. The only problem is that Dyna Comp isn't in stock in my local store so I can't try it out. I'm looking for more like The Police sounds (with flanger of course when needed).
                Last edited by guitarplayer100; 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I always regret using "going for cheaper" as my priority when buying anything for my rig. It's worth waiting and saving a bit longer so not to forever be thinking "I shoulda"....
                  sigpic

Comment

joyo, danelectro, second hand boss, biyang, moen, second hand mxr
                    there are heaps.
                    Go to ebay and type in compressor pedal, then sort it so its listed with price and postage as lowest first and take your pick.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

What are you using this compressor for? What purpose? Acoustic, electric, clean, dirty, recording, live, sustain, limiting, attack mods, boost….

All very important. Or do you want one just to have one?
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Grab any ten compressors at random and like eight of them will be variations on the Ross circuit. It's probably the sound most guitarists think of when they think of comps, so it's a pretty decent place to start for your first one. $50 isn't going to go an especially long way, but there are some options: Ibanez CP5 being perhaps the cheapest I know of. You can get those all day for about $30 shipped.

But, as others have mentioned, shopping by price first isn't the best way to go about this. Even within the Ross-derived pedals, there's a very wide range of features, and only you can know which ones are important to you.

Looking at this list: https://reverb.com/marketplace/effec...rt=price%7Casc the cheapest one that I have personal experience with is the Boss CS3 at $65. Boss isn't a brand with a lot of internet forum cache, but that's a fine pedal. I notice that the SD Double Back is available for $85 shipped there too. That's a TON of pedal for the money. Second best pedal Duncan has ever made, imo.
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Oh, uhhh, woops. I *may* have tossed a lowball offer on that Double Back...and it *may* have just been accepted. So...huh. Sorry about that. It was still more than $50, if that helps.
                          Last edited by St_Genesius; 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM.
                          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

If anyone is wondering, this is the definition of "Orpheo'd"...
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Well, not EXACTLY: it was over his budget and not something he'd expressed interest in. But...a little, yeah. I feel a little dickish.

Comment

Working...
                              X