Is this a Fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Fuzz

sounds like one, but possibly doubletracked with a regular distorted signal?

Any fuzz experts care to harbor a guess and suggest something that will get in the ballpark?

starts at 8:40

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Is this a Fuzz

Sounds like it could be a big muff or fuzz face depending on amp settings. But it could also be a direct signal (no speaker cab) with overdrive or fuzz blended into an amped signal but that is based on just listening to the above clip.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

I also thought that could be a direct into the board tone. I dig it, regardless.

Would I need to be looking at germanium for that kind of tone?
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

its splatty like a face. I reckon a silicon face. Still, hes got so many other sounds on there i reckon you can get close with a number of fuzzes. Having said that....silicon fuzz faces are really cool pedals and i reckon they would get a lot more love if if were not for the mythical status of unobtanium transistors.
        There are a number of great ones out there from analogman, theo hartman and fulltone just to name a few.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Hmm, it sounds vaguely tonebender-ish... though I may have reached that conclusion because I just spent a few hours with a tonebender.

If you're interested in a great bender at an awesome price, this is the one I've got. They run $184 shipped, and they're worth every penny. The new ones even have soft touch relay bypass. There's a polarity inverter in the circuit, so you can use it on a one spot, unlike most germanium fuzzes. And it's just a killer fuzz. I plan to do a write up on it once I've had some more time to play with it, I only just got it yesterday.

Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            Hmm, it sounds vaguely tonebender-ish... though I may have reached that conclusion because I just spent a few hours with a tonebender.

If you're interested in a great bender at an awesome price, this is the one I've got. They run $184 shipped, and they're worth every penny. The new ones even have soft touch relay bypass. There's a polarity inverter in the circuit, so you can use it on a one spot, unlike most germanium fuzzes. And it's just a killer fuzz. I plan to do a write up on it once I've had some more time to play with it, I only just got it yesterday.

you have a direct link for the yootoob clip? my kindle doesnt support yootoob clips (i posted the op via desktop)

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            its splatty like a face. I reckon a silicon face. Still, hes got so many other sounds on there i reckon you can get close with a number of fuzzes. Having said that....silicon fuzz faces are really cool pedals and i reckon they would get a lot more love if if were not for the mythical status of unobtanium transistors.
            There are a number of great ones out there from analogman, theo hartman and fulltone just to name a few.
            hmm..silicon, eh? indeed that album and tune have tons of stuff going on trackwise. amazingly he did it with two guitars and two amps, an echplex and a couple pedals.

Comment

Yeah, no problem. Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXsqV2No8M
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                Yeah, no problem. Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXsqV2No8M

Thanks. that thing sounds pretty badass.

Comment

Yeah, it really does. I only got to test it at low volume last night but even there it just slays. For lack of a better word, it really just sounds extremely "rich." In harmonic content, saturation, and as stupid as it may sound, even in the general feel. And that was just with my D'avanzo. I can't wait to try it with my WLH-loaded McCarty.

Honestly, you can't get a good germanium MKII bender for less than $200, and that's not even including all of the awesome features this pedal has (MK1.5 mode, fat switch, external bias control, power supply/led, being able to daisy chain it, soft touch bypass, and I think it's even wah compatible) so this is probably one of the best deals on a new pedal I've seen in a long time. There is a wait at the moment, but it's only a couple of weeks, so it's no big deal. I highly recommend this pedal, it's extremely awesome and surprisingly versatile. It should be able to get that fuzz tone you're looking for and much more. Even if it doesn't, it will sound f'n amazing. Led Zep I for days.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                  X