banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someome tell me if this is normal for a pedal to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someome tell me if this is normal for a pedal to do?

I have a Dunlop bass wah, and I usually leave it plugged it. I don't think I ever got a battery for it even but maybe I did.

Anyway, when the pedal is unplugged but still in my signal chain, I notice my tone degrading and becoming more and more farty until I plug it back in. It's not like, "oh it buffers the tone because true bypass or whatever" this sounds like my tone is dying. What gives?
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 04-05-2015, 12:37 PM.

Re: Can someome tell me if this is normal for a pedal to do?

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
    I have a Dunlop bass wah, and I usually leave it plugged it. I don't think I ever got a battery for it even but maybe I did.

Anyway, when the pedal is unplugged but still in my signal chain, I notice my tone degrading and becoming more and more farty until I plug it back in. It's not like, "oh it buffers the tone because true bypass or whatever" this sounds like my tone is dying. What gives?
    That's a buffered pedal, right? I believe the buffer requires power to work properly and you're probably seeing a degradation as the capacitors lose their charge. If you tried to switch the pedal on you'd probably instantly lose signal.
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
      That's a buffered pedal, right? I believe the buffer requires power to work properly and you're probably seeing a degradation as the capacitors lose their charge. If you tried to switch the pedal on you'd probably instantly lose signal.
      It's an odd thing, similar to the Morelys, it has an auto return function. So there is no "on and off switch", you just step on it and rock it, and when you take your foot off it turns off. That being said, what you said sounds pretty dead on. When I rocked it forward, the sound gradually cut out more and more until what was left when all the way up with thin and beepy buzz with almost no volume. So yeah, rocking it forward made it quieter. I didn't know buffered bypass worked like that without a power source.

Comment

Among the buffered pedals i have, the ehx sem is quirky in bypass mode. It's a buffered pedal but passes a degraded signal when off and not connected to a psu. The other stuff i have from digitech or visual sound doesnt do that or doesnt work at all unless connected to a psu.

Comment

OOOOOOOkay.

After checking out some other info sources online, I figured out that this is actually kind of normal since buffered bypasses are actively effecting your tone instead of passively. This was my huge misunderstanding. The point of buffered bypass is that strengthens the signal to help with longer cable runs and impedance issues. It requires power to do this, so if power isn't supplied, it makes sense that the tone is changed quite a bit similar to say an active pickup with a dead battery, which is exactly how I would describe the issue I am having with this. So GilmourD was right.

Many people even do tests to find out if their pedals are buffered bypass by disconnecting the power source and running through the pedals in their off positions.

I feel stupid for not knowing this but hey, now I know, and I'm glad this is pretty normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            OOOOOOOkay.

After checking out some other info sources online, I figured out that this is actually kind of normal since buffered bypasses are actively effecting your tone instead of passively. This was my huge misunderstanding. The point of buffered bypass is that strengthens the signal to help with longer cable runs and impedance issues. It requires power to do this, so if power isn't supplied, it makes sense that the tone is changed quite a bit similar to say an active pickup with a dead battery, which is exactly how I would describe the issue I am having with this. So GilmourD was right.

Many people even do tests to find out if their pedals are buffered bypass by disconnecting the power source and running through the pedals in their off positions.

I feel stupid for not knowing this but hey, now I know, and I'm glad this is pretty normal.
            Hey, we've all gotta learn sometime.

I'm still learning stuff. I don't know everything, despite what having extensive grey hair may indicate. LOL
            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
              Hey, we've all gotta learn sometime.

I'm still learning stuff. I don't know everything, despite what having extensive grey hair may indicate. LOL
              Hey man, even I have grey hairs. Started getting them in kindergarten. It's a rough life.

Comment

Working...
              X