New vs. Old. Duncan Shapeshifter trem pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs. Old. Duncan Shapeshifter trem pedal

Looks like they recently redesigned the pedal and it's in a different box now with a new feature added (channel phase control).

How big (or small) is the new one compared to the old one? My only beef with the old one was how big and heavy it was.

Re: New vs. Old. Duncan Shapeshifter trem pedal

It looks like it's in the enclosure that's (IIRC) 4.7"x3.7" which should also make it much lighter.

I don't know why they didn't give it a volume knob though, that's a deal breaker for me. Unless I needed stereo trem, I'd get the Diamond any day over the Duncan.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The original is probably my favorite trem pedal I've ever tried, sound wise. The only changes worth making IMO would be to make it a very well built pedal, as the originals are pretty crummy in that respect (and extremely overpriced for a pedal of that sort of low-ish quality). If this new one had that feature, I'd buy at least one, and maybe two. Unfortunately, it looks like all they probably did is to give it a cosmetic makeover, have the components put together in the U.S.A. (without changing the quality of the components, which is what made the originals crappy), and add more things to malfunction.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-04-2015, 12:51 AM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Hey guys glad to hear the comments on the Shapeshifter, it's significantly lighter (.9lbs vs 2lbs) and smaller. It features several new features including the stereo phase control you mentioned, and also the visual feedback LED like you see in the Vapor Trail. Istabass, I think you will find them very well built, we hand assemble and test each one and I know Kevin Beller puts them through a pretty extreme regime of testing (hot/cold and all around brutality to make sure they can stand up the rigors of gigging). There has also been some expansion of the ranges.

The main reason that it doesn't have a volume control is that it has automatic gain compensation since many Trems don't have this; you need to turn the knob up to compensate for the volume, as you increase the depth. It does this automatically.

Comment

Is the quality of the components any different (i.e. pots, switches, etc.)?
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
            Hey guys glad to hear the comments on the Shapeshifter, it's significantly lighter (.9lbs vs 2lbs) and smaller. It features several new features including the stereo phase control you mentioned, and also the visual feedback LED like you see in the Vapor Trail. Istabass, I think you will find them very well built, we hand assemble and test each one and I know Kevin Beller puts them through a pretty extreme regime of testing (hot/cold and all around brutality to make sure they can stand up the rigors of gigging). There has also been some expansion of the ranges.

The main reason that it doesn't have a volume control is that it has automatic gain compensation since many Trems don't have this; you need to turn the knob up to compensate for the volume, as you increase the depth. It does this automatically.
            Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post

Scott, I believe the new pedal also allows one to punch in the tap tempo while the effect is off. Hope I am correct on that. I have one of the older ones still going strong. At one time there was a company that was modifying these older models with volume control, tap tempo while off, additional jacks and other such candy. They did this because, in their opinion, it was one of the best sounding Tremolos on the market.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
                Scott, I believe the new pedal also allows one to punch in the tap tempo while the effect is off. Hope I am correct on that. I have one of the older ones still going strong. At one time there was a company that was modifying these older models with volume control, tap tempo while off, additional jacks and other such candy. They did this because, in their opinion, it was one of the best sounding Tremolos on the market.

Brad
                I would like to know if anyone has confirmed if the new unit will tap while bypassed.
                "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post

Brad
                  Yes, you can set even when you're in bypass.

Comment

I guess I'm not very hard on my pedals. My Shape Shifter is still going strong. And as long as it is, it's the last trem I'll buy.
                    ---------------------------
                    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                    X