Humming Wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming Wah

Just put my pedalboard together exactly as I wanted it, made the cables, all that stuff. Went well until I stepped on the wah...instant electrical hum. Checked everything I could think of, no change until I noticed the hum decreased when I moved my wah away from the power supply (It had been directly over my power supply. Anyone else have this experience?
    '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgangs, '08 SanDimas, '09 SanDimas.

Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2502, assorted 4X12 & 2X12 Cabs.
    A smattering of some little boxes, and a couple mounted lighty up things.

Re: Humming Wah

What brand and model power supply and wah are you using? I've definitely heard of this but I didn't know proximity was a factor.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Voodoo labs power supply. Had no problem whatsoever when everything was patched together on the ground. Moving it away reduced the noise quite a bit. Guess I will have to reconfigure or possibly try to shield the wah.

Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2502, assorted 4X12 & 2X12 Cabs.

Comment

MXR wahs, tried a couple different ones with the same result.

Comment

I have had this problem too, with a voodoo labs. You can try additional shielding with mu metal. I have not personally tried this, but have heard it may help.

What happens by putting mumetal foil in between of a humming wah pedal and the power supply? These are 3x 0.5mm Mu Metal foils. Voodoo Pedal Power II and a M...

Sorry I am on my phone and can't do a proper vid link -

sigpic

Comment

Rule of the wah...place it far away from a powersource....

Comment

Interesting, I'm assuming because of the inductors in both the Wah and Power Supply?

It's always been easier for me to have the wah off-board powered by battery. Since you have to unplug every time, the battery lasts forever.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks for the help! In 35 years of playing, I guess I just never had my wah that close to a power supply to notice this until now.

Comment

Working...
                X