Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Metal Pedals?

Hello!

I was wondering which pedal would sound like Metallica MoP/AJFA?

I was looking at EHX Metal Muff and it seems great!I just don't know if it can pull of that Metallica sound.

Please recommend pedals you think will be good for old Metallica sound.

My amp is: Fender Mustang I V.2

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pacifica; 05-25-2015, 06:32 AM.

Re: Good Metal Pedals?

Boss DS-1 into a cranked Marshall got me pretty close to MOP rhythm tone. For older than that, the Proco RAT pedal will surely to get you there.

Comment

My amp is a Fender Mustang I v.2

Would EHX Metal Muff come close to Metallica?

Comment

Originally posted by Pacifica View Post
        My amp is a Fender Mustang I v.2

Would EHX Metal Muff come close to Metallica?
        No.
        Originally posted by Myaccount876
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

A distortion pedal with some eq options would be the ticket. Early Metallica played a lot of Marshall amps with a lot of the mids sucked out.

for what it's worth, I knew a guy that ran a Boss Metal Zone through a solidstate Marshall 2x12 and was able to get "close". I suggest spending some time at a guitar store with some pedals and possibly an eq pedal in the mix to tweak the mids.

one other note... what you hear on a record is almost never the sound of just the amp and mic. A lot of other tone tweaking can happen after a track is recorded. Trying to replicate the exact sound of a mastered guitar track using only your amp does not lead to useful tone in a band setting. Infamous "bedroom tone"......
          Last edited by Jason_The_Angry; 05-25-2015, 07:22 AM.

"Seven times down, eight times up."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	metal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	5785379

Works for me...

Comment

The Empress Heavy will certainly do this, but I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money. The Keeley Rahlhammer is another contender.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Get a used Metal Zone (Guitar Center's used section has one in 5 star condition for $29.99), get a DIY mod for said Metal Zone (like Monte Allums) or if you don't know about soldering, send it off to a modding company.

Good metal pedal on the cheap.
                Last edited by p4vl; 05-25-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Where i live i can only get metal zone for 50$ and i can't find any mods for it.

Would the EHX Metal Muff be better than a unmodded Metal Zone?

Comment

Originally posted by Pacifica View Post
                    Where i live i can only get metal zone for 50$ and i can't find any mods for it.

Would the EHX Metal Muff be better than a unmodded Metal Zone?
                    Check out the diesel mod on CSGuitars youtube. It's easy.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Would the EHX Metal Muff sound better than a unmodded Metal Zone?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUrwoosNw5Y

Better is subjective. You seem to keep coming back to the EHX. If you can't decide, buy what you like. If you hate it, sell it, and find another. You're not marrying the pedal....

"Seven times down, eight times up."

Comment

First - Distortion pedals *usually* don't work all that well with modeling amps.

Second - You should be able to get a better metal tone out of the amp than any pedal would give you. I think the problem you have is the size of the speaker on the Mustang I *and* the lack of a Mid knob. The sound you're looking for *should* be available with the Metal 2000 preset. Maybe try using an EQ pedal before it to scoop the mids coming in:

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

If you're looking at the metal muff, make sure you get the big one with top boost. You may never use the top boost but the 3 band eq has a lot of range and very usable. That being said, it's got a really thick sound. Even with the gain turned down (I never got mine past 11 o'clock). I Loved the pedal and regret getting rid of it. But can it do early Metallica? Possible, but you will need to play with it a whole lot.

Set your Mustang for something very clean (like a blackface Fender), hook up the Metal Muff w/ Top Boost and hope for the best.

Disclaimer: I never got a usable sound out of Metal Zone.
                            -Greg

Guitars:
                            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Save your money for a better amp. No pedal in front of that amp is going to sound great.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X