banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simplest Phaser Pedal w expression pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplest Phaser Pedal w expression pedal?

I'm trying to get the Elevation U2 sound and I think he's using a phaser? Anybody know a basic circuit or any other way to get this tone? Thx
    Consider this ... a $200 cheapo guitar through a $5,000 MESA amp sounds pretty darn good and a competent guitarist could certainly play a gig with this rig.

However, a $5,000 Gibson guitar through a $200 practice amp sounds like ... well ... a $200 practice amp.

Re: Simplest Phaser Pedal w expression pedal?

A Line 6 M5 will get that sound, and an expression pedal will control as many parameters at a time as you want. Plus, you get a lot more effects.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do you need manual control of the sweep or of the speed? (Wah style or Univibe style)
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I really want to build my own - sort of Wah style. I already have a Crybaby and that's not how he achieves that sound.
        Consider this ... a $200 cheapo guitar through a $5,000 MESA amp sounds pretty darn good and a competent guitarist could certainly play a gig with this rig.

However, a $5,000 Gibson guitar through a $200 practice amp sounds like ... well ... a $200 practice amp.

Comment

A MXR Variphase might do the trick.

Comment

That's what inwas thinking Securb, but the treadle is a speed control. (Those were on sale at MF for $99, I should have picked one up.)

No6h,
            Are you looking for the "wah wah" sound in the intro? It's a manually swept filter, in all likelihood generated from the Line 6 Filter Pro. The Line 6 FM4 with expression would be equivalent. I think you are looking for a Low Pass (rather than a Band Pass) which is why the wah doesn't sound right. The Boss AW-3 or Digitech Synth Wah might be able to achieve it also. On a technical note, put the filter after distortion like synth, rather than before like most guitarists do.

Check out the scene from "It Might Get Loud", he kind of shows how he builds that intro tone, IIRC.
            Last edited by PFDarkside; 06-05-2015, 08:38 AM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              A MXR Variphase might do the trick.

I was gonna suggest this.

I don't think there's many phasers that will allow you to control the sweep of the phaser vs the speed.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

MOOG will let you do that but you are talking $300 for the pedal plus the expression pedal. The pedal is worth every penny. I didn't suggest it because the OP said "simple" and the MOOG is far from that.

Comment

On the other hand, it's built like a tank, and extremely flexible and useful...
                  "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I might look at the Line 6. Is it true bypass? I might also put the Wah after my overdrive/fuzz and try that out instead. On my computer I have GuitarRig and I could try getting it there?
                    Last edited by no6h; 06-05-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X