• Show
Clear All

• Satriani : the blue album and his sound

hi folks
    i have always liked the sound of "flying in a blue dream" and the whole cd
    i know that he played with a BOSS DS1

i have the satchurator but it's not enough
    i have not his amp so,
    >>>have you ever had a sound close to him at home ? or with computer (pedals, garage band)

Re: Satriani : the blue album and his sound

He has plenty of gain but it's his fingers and the rest of his rig too. His rig isn't overly complicated but he's a beast of a player. He could play that stuff with a clean tone and still make it sing. Also chasing a recorded tone live is usually a losing proposition

Comment

Originally posted by always SD View Post
      i have not his amp
      this is difficult.
      A high gain marshall style tube amp is an essential ingredient.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm a big Satch fan. I've never tried to cop his sound directly, but I've studied it a lot. The best way to do it in a nutshell is this:

- Basswood-bodied Ibanez-type guitar loaded with the pickups he uses (the FRED/MoJoe and Paf Pro/PAF Joe) are a BIG part of the sound.
        - Marshall-style gain up high, crank the mids.
        - Get good with your legato technique and get comfy with a whammy bar.

...and go to town. Essential effects would be a good wah (use a fat-sounding one with a lot of mids and set to low range), a DS1, a good delay, and a Chorus.

Here's one of the better rig rundowns. Demo starts at 7:33

Last edited by B2D; 06-04-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

i juste want a pedal to have a sound like he had in this "blue album"
          i have a js 1200 ibanez
          sl5 MArshall
          pedals

a LAney amp too

and i have have some sounds of his "Super Colossal" (2006) + live album but the sound that i like is one of the "flying in a blue dream"
          or he just played with pedals or pa system or with an engineer
          Last edited by always SD; 06-05-2015, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            He has plenty of gain but it's his fingers and the rest of his rig too. His rig isn't overly complicated but he's a beast of a player. He could play that stuff with a clean tone and still make it sing. Also chasing a recorded tone live is usually a losing proposition
            Originally posted by B2D View Post
            I'm a big Satch fan. I've never tried to cop his sound directly, but I've studied it a lot. The best way to do it in a nutshell is this:

- Basswood-bodied Ibanez-type guitar loaded with the pickups he uses (the FRED/MoJoe and Paf Pro/PAF Joe) are a BIG part of the sound.
            - Marshall-style gain up high, crank the mids.
            - Get good with your legato technique and get comfy with a whammy bar.

...and go to town. Essential effects would be a good wah (use a fat-sounding one with a lot of mids and set to low range), a DS1, a good delay, and a Chorus.

Here's one of the better rig rundowns. Demo starts at 7:33

+1 To both of these responses! Satriani is just an outstanding guitar player...always loved his tone and songs!

Oddly enough, I stumbled on a tone that sounded very similar to "Into The Light" using a Fender USA Deluxe loaded with Fat 50's through a Mesa Boogie DC5 gain channel and the 5-way EQ set at a W.

Comment

"flying about a blue dream"= Marshall +ds1 or not ?

Comment

Yes but ive heard a TON of people play DS1's with JCM800's and NOT sound like Satriani... and ive seen Satriani live play Peaveys and still sound like flying in a blue dream.

This is one of those times when the gear is only the first inch of a tone thats a mile long.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Not.

See both quotes below... these are straight from Satch himself taken from transcribed interviews and chats on satriani.com.

Ibanez Dan: Joe, what kind of settings do you use on your Boss DS-1 pedal?

Joe Satriani: 9 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 2 o'clock
                  ...On the track "Flying..." I was using a JS1000 prototype Ibanez guitar into a Boss DS-1, into a Boogie MK2 head, into a 4x12 Boogie speaker bottom. "Crystal Planet" was a JS1000 into a Whammy pedal, a Fulltone Ultimate Octave pedal, into a Peavey 5150, into a Marshall 4x12 bottom. Both setups were using a Shure 57 mic....I hope that answers your questiion...Joe

Comment

And don't forget that some times the mix sounds thicker than the actual rig because of multitrack guitar recording
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

good

ok !
                      thanks
                      but it’s an impossible tone? just a sound made with a sound engineer with a Mesa Boogie ?
                      or just with computer nowadays

i have a Satchurator but i have not a Mesa or just a pedal.

i only like the sound that i can listen to in his "blue album" because
                      About the sound : Live versions and concerts are not interesting for me (except when he played with a JSX, Peavey, he had a great sound )

Comment

good

ok !
                        thanks
                        but it’s an impossible tone? just a sound made with a sound engineer with a Mesa Boogie ?
                        What's an impossible tone? It's definitely possible... it's all over the record and I just straight out quoted The Man himself on what he was using.

Satriani typically uses many different amps, pedals and guitars on a given album to get the sounds he wants. Doing it live, he'll use an amp and a few pedals that, in his words, will "ballpark" the tone of several different tracks along several different albums. I recall a Crystal Planet-era interview where he said his Marshall 6100 and DS1 pedal did that job very well. Since then he's used a few different pedals, Peaveys, and his signature Marshalls live but the goal remains the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X