New flanger pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New flanger pedal

HI my Mooer Elec Lady just broke and I need new flanger now (not another Mooer). So I would like it to be more like Andy Summers so no MXR. I've been looking at EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress XO which is expensive but it is what I'm looking for. Any other alternative (cheaper)?
    Last edited by guitarplayer100; 06-10-2015, 12:05 AM.

Re: New flanger pedal

FL9
    Fender burns bright, but Gibson - longer)))
    zsselectronics.com

Comment

It's unfortunate because the Deluxe Mistress is a fairly unique flanger that sort of blurs the lines between a chorus and a flanger. Most other flangers are really more about the airplane whoosh than about the subtle filter movement.

So your options are fairly limited, honestly the Mooer is the only super cheap way to get that kind of tone that I've found. Most of the current Deluxe Mistress flangers don't sound quite right to me or have issues with tone suck.

A fairly decent solution could be the TC Electronic Vortex Mini: http://www.tcelectronic.com/vortex-mini-flanger/ When you buy the pedal it might not sound like a deluxe mistress but you can download different tones to upload into it, and a bunch of them are geared towards doing the Andy Summers/Deluxe Mistress thing really well.

Heres a video of someone using the Vortex (large version) to that end:

The other option of course is to go with a chorus pedal, as Andy did later in his career, a Boss CE-2 or clone of that (of which there are many).
      Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
      I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
      Andrew - None

Comment

DEM XO is true bypass, runs on 9V, I've also heard that volume drop is fixed + smaller box. And yes, I would prefer flanger if it's like EM. Vortex is digital (I think) but really versatile though. So there are only Mooer which isn't really reliable, DEM XO which is bigger and costs much more and digital Vortex?

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post

"Someone" James Santiago has some great tone videos on the Voodoo Lab youtube channel, using pretty typical pedals to show you how to get a lot of signature tones.

EHX has the Neo Mistress:

Last edited by PFDarkside; 06-13-2015, 08:27 AM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Neo is really different thing...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer100 View Post
              Neo is really different thing...
              Gotcha. I thought that maybe they miniaturized it for the nano line.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Anyone ever played deluxe EM XO?

Comment

What about original DEM? NEW coasts me 130$ but I'm worried... don't know how big this thing really is.

Comment

Just ordered DEM (big box) since XO wasn't in stock and I got even better deal.

Comment

I've been using a Boss BF-2 to get Andy Summers sounds for 30 years. With the Manual control all the way down and just a smidge of resonance, it does that clangy, heavy-chorus, "Walking On The Moon" thing pretty well. I've never A/B'd it with a real DEM but that would be pointless for me; the DEM is a non-starter based on size alone.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer100 View Post
                        What about original DEM? NEW coasts me 130$ but I'm worried... don't know how big this thing really is.
                        The big box DEM sounds pretty good. The two caveats are that it truely is not very pedalboard friendly (enormous and 24V) and that the bypass is a little sketchy. Also, keep in mind that due to the arrangement and design, settings for the Electric Mistress don't carry over to the DEM, you'll have to play with the knobs to get the tone you like.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                          It's unfortunate because the Deluxe Mistress is a fairly unique flanger that sort of blurs the lines between a chorus and a flanger. Most other flangers are really more about the airplane whoosh than about the subtle filter movement.

So your options are fairly limited, honestly the Mooer is the only super cheap way to get that kind of tone that I've found. Most of the current Deluxe Mistress flangers don't sound quite right to me or have issues with tone suck.

A fairly decent solution could be the TC Electronic Vortex Mini: http://www.tcelectronic.com/vortex-mini-flanger/ When you buy the pedal it might not sound like a deluxe mistress but you can download different tones to upload into it, and a bunch of them are geared towards doing the Andy Summers/Deluxe Mistress thing really well.

The other option of course is to go with a chorus pedal, as Andy did later in his career, a Boss CE-2 or clone of that (of which there are many).
                          I have the Electric Mistress, not Deluxe Electric Mistress and while if used sparingly sounds decent, I noticed the same thing about it if depth is cranked at all. Just doesn't sound quite right to me. I really have wanted to like it for awhile and in some instances can have a nice effect, but I think there is better. My Electric Mistress is the one where you can use both chorus effect and flanger effect at the same time.
                          Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
                          Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
                          Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Working...
                          X