banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What overdrive pedal to boost a Marshall DSL 100h?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What overdrive pedal to boost a Marshall DSL 100h?

Hi there,

I have a Laney head (GH 100l) but it's not doing the job the way I want. I play Thrash/Death Metal and I'm going to change this Laney for a Marshall DSL 100h. What overdrive pedal do you thing would fit well for this Marshall? I was thinking about the Boss SD-1... Cheers

Re: What overdrive pedal to boost a Marshall DSL 100h?

thats a good option

Comment

The Boss SD-1 is a good choice. An Ibanez Tubescreamer is too. If you want to spend a little more, look at the Fulltone OCD. You can use it as a boost with little to no drive or use it to really push your distorted tone, or even by itself through a clean channel for less gain (less than what Thrash/Death Metal calls for).

Comment

Hello,

[waves]

Do you want more amp or more pedal crunch?

I use a Maxon OD-820 which can give you both and you will still sound like you.

The lovepedal Kalamazoo is insanely good, especially if you are getting most of your gain from your amp. If you just want a little bit more...Kalamazoo.

If you are looking at the Boss...go with the Waza Craft. It's completely sick.

Enjoy your search, I'd love to know what you end up with.

Later,

~LD
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
          Hello,

[waves]

Do you want more amp or more pedal crunch?

I use a Maxon OD-820 which can give you both and you will still sound like you.

The lovepedal Kalamazoo is insanely good, especially if you are getting most of your gain from your amp. If you just want a little bit more...Kalamazoo.

If you are looking at the Boss...go with the Waza Craft. It's completely sick.

Enjoy your search, I'd love to know what you end up with.

Later,

~LD
          I want more amp crunch when playing loud. At bedroom level I can just use my MT-2 or use a smaller amp.

The Waza Craft looks very nice, will have a look!! thx

Comment

I would
            instead of changing amps and pedals
            try first the afore mentioned pedals with the Laney

you search may not require revamping your entire rig
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

sd-1 is good. mxr gtod is good fulldrive is good. Those are my 3 faves with modern marshalls.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                I would
                instead of changing amps and pedals
                try first the afore mentioned pedals with the Laney

you search may not require revamping your entire rig
                I did try some pedals with the Laney but none worked well. The only good Metal sound I can get is using the MT-2 in front of it when playing not too loud. I can get almost the same tones using a SS amp with the MT-2, thats why I want a tube amp that already has a nice distortion in it, just needing some OD pedal to go Metal!!!

Comment

The DSL is cooler than hell... but even boosted it may still come up short for death metal. You are so much better off getting a 5150 or one of its incarnations or an EVH III.

I definitely wouldnt buy the dsl without playing it first. If i was going to play metal with a DSL i would just use the clean channel and put a triple wreck or tight metal infront of it.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                    The DSL is cooler than hell... but even boosted it may still come up short for death metal. You are so much better off getting a 5150 or one of its incarnations or an EVH III.

I definitely wouldnt buy the dsl without playing it first. If i was going to play metal with a DSL i would just use the clean channel and put a triple wreck or tight metal infront of it.
                    Thats what I've been doing with the Laney, using the amp clean and boosting with a MT-2 in front.

I don't really need to sound like these modern Death Metal bands. I want something like Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Sodom, Death, Sepultura... Gary Holt is using DSLs boosted with Tube Screamer with Slayer now for example. I should be able to get some nice Thrash tones then with the DSL, right? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lucaspaço View Post
                      Thats what I've been doing with the Laney, using the amp clean and boosting with a MT-2 in front.

I don't really need to sound like these modern Death Metal bands. I want something like Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Sodom, Death, Sepultura... Gary Holt is using DSLs boosted with Tube Screamer with Slayer now for example. I should be able to get some nice Thrash tones then with the DSL, right? thanks
                      MT2 leaves ALOT to be desired. Its not at all in the same leauge as the triple wreck or tight metal.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        MT2 leaves ALOT to be desired. Its not at all in the same leauge as the triple wreck or tight metal.
                        Yeah, thats true, in special when playing really loud!

Comment

Digitech Death Metal. Is $20 used

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I guess it just depends on what you expect as thrash tones... Sure you can get thrash tones out of a DSL but i wont guarantee they are the ones you are after. Most of the bands you listed I sure i wouldnt use a DSL to play...

I mean look at the list. Slayer = Boosted JCM800's
                            Exodus = Modded JCM800's back in the day Peavey XXX's more recently
                            Testament = ADA MP1's way back when though Skolnick even used the Marshall Mode 4 for a time
                            Death = Marshall Valvestate 8100's,
                            Sepultura= ADA MP1's into JCM800's though not sure what they play recently.

You will have to find a pedal that works with the DSL to get thrash out of it. Some guys like TS"s in front of marshalls others dont. Thats why i say try before you buy cause it isnt a guaranteed path.

Comment

I'd prefer the simple DS-1 over a MT2 through a Marshall anytime. The DS-1 got me some good thrashy tones and can be had very cheap. Think I'll pick one up again myself.
                              I think MXR has a box in their line up that's supposedly based off the DS-1 (modified version).

Comment

Working...
                              X