banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More boost, can this be done? - pedal guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More boost, can this be done? - pedal guys?

So I have this dime from hell wah. Love it to death, but it claims a 0-17db volume boost when you kick it on, I assume to boost the solo volume, its not really that much of a boost though... Sounds to me like its 5

Needs to be 20+ I think, perhaps it doesn't really work that well because of the cut in frequencies?

So my question is, can I send it somewhere and have them make the boost stronger?
    Something I could do with a soldering iron?
    Thoughts?
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: More boost, can this be done? - pedal guys?

I'd thin k you could get a Spark or whatever little pedal wired right into the housing…
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You're using it into an amp that's already driven hard, right?

If so, that's why. You can keep adding dB's of gain, but the amp's preamp is completely out of clean headroom - it won't be any louder, just more saturated/distorted. You need clean headroom and then boost that to get a volume increase. You can also create a perception of the volume increasing by boosting the mids between 800 Hz and 2 KHz, unless those frequencies are already pushed too hard, and will only become more saturated.

That's why you play on 10, and then go to 11 when you need that extra push. If you play on 11 all the time, then you need to be able to go to 12.
      Last edited by Myaccount876; 06-22-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

dirty amps cant really get much louder no matter how much boost you squirt into them.
        Try doing what dimebag does....if you are using dirt pedals as well as you dirty amp, try running them before the wah.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If you want louder, and the power amp section has at least some headroom left, run a straight/transparent boost (an EQ pedal works great here) in the effects loop. A tiny amount of boost to the amp's power section will really boost the volume way up, depending on the amount of headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
            If you want louder, and the power amp section has at least some headroom left, run a straight/transparent boost (an EQ pedal works great here) in the effects loop. A tiny amount of boost to the amp's power section will really boost the volume way up, depending on the amount of headroom.
            I was just thinking that and then I read your post. LOL
            Nope...

Comment

I play wah-> dirt-> clean channel.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                I play wah-> dirt-> clean channel.
                17db of boost is a lot of boost.

The problem you're having is that your dirt pedal(s) don't have the headroom to increase volume when they get hit with a stronger signal. More boost from the wah isn't going to help if what you're after is an increase in volume when its turned on. Running the way you are (which is how I do, too), you should be noticing a jump in gain when you engage the wah with the boost all the way up.

There are a number of ways to approach your problem, but understanding its cause should help you figure out which way is right for you.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  Try doing what dimebag does....if you are using dirt pedals as well as you dirty amp, try running them before the wah.
                  Lots of good advice here. I will second gibson175 here–try putting the Wah at the end of the chain before the amp.

Comment

If you go dirt > wah > amp, and the amp has plenty of headroom left, the wah boost should do something to increase the volume, but the dirt before the way can also sound weird depending on the dirt box. Experiment with what you have first.

Comment

Cool I'll change it up when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                        Cool I'll change it up when I get home.
                        Hope it helps! If not then I guess you will just have to buy more gear

Comment

Wah after dirt box = ice pick in ear hole!

Eff that noise, whatever it is, sounded like a fuzzface in front of a dime squeal at 952 decibels! No good whatsoever. It did make the db boost work better, but hardly a usable tone.

Back to it being in front of the dirt boxes.... Added my old eq back to the board, using it for a level boost kick.

Problem solved....

Comment

Been following this thread. Do you have a compressor? Maybe try it between the wah and the dirt box?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Been following this thread. Do you have a compressor? Maybe try it between the wah and the dirt box?
                              Or maybe try guitar, wah, dirtbox, compressor, then amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X