No announcement yet.

Boss CS-1 who here has any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss CS-1 who here has any experience?

I am currently being offered a CS-1 Compressor/Sustainer for $120 CAD ($100 USD give or take) I want a compressor on my board and wondered what people think of them. Ill be using them mainly for clean tones and leads.

I want my pedalboard to end up like this..
    Guitar > Tuner > Noise Gate > Compressor/Sustainer > Boss GE-7 EQ pedal > Overdrive/boost > Overdrive > Fuzz > Phase 90 > Amp
    Fx Loop Send > MXR Carbon Copy Delay > MXR Analog Chorus > Reverb > Fx Loop Return
    Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Re: Boss CS-1 who here has any experience?

Some people really like the older Boss pedals over the new ones. I have the CS-3 on my board, and it works fine. I use it more for limiting than actual sustain and compression. I know that at higher compression levels, they can be noisy, but in my application I'm not noticing any.

I'm not sure what the going rate is for this vintage Boss Compressor, but there are so many new and highly regarded "boutique" pedals on the market, you might be able to get a better pedal, though it may cost you more. The Keeley comes to mind, but there are many others.

Good luck.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

massive squish.
      Cs-2 is much better.
      and put your noise gate after it, not before.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've never used the CS-1 but I love my modded CS-3
        Soundcloud

Comment

If you like effecty compressor, then that old CS-1 is cool!
          Had one in my youth, had my father looking it over, and made me change a single resistor to increase the volume...it is a bit low on that, thus you can turn down the compressor knob.

Comment

Monte Allums Opto Mod CS-3 for the win.

That said - WHY do you want one on your board? Just like the "idea" of it? Need a Blue pedal to round out the color palette? Or is there a sound issue you think a Comp will fix?

If you aren't a conneseur, no reason to NOT just get a used CS3 stock.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Monte Allums Opto Mod CS-3 for the win.
              +1 to this
              Soundcloud

Comment

See - I use the Monte Allums for Acoustic. On acoustic, great compression REALLY makes a difference.

But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a stock one on electric. Or a Dyna Comp - for that 80's Quash.

You know what I want to try? A Modtone LemonSqueeze….
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

dyna comp

I use a Joyo compressor
                  its a copy of a dyna comp
                  my buddy has a vintage (mid 90s) dyna comp
                  he says there is a tonal difference between his and the Joyo
                  I cant hear it

EDIT
                  used CS-1s are $59 bucks at GC used
                  Last edited by ehdwuld; 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM. Reason: edut
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Besides, a Boss CS-1 is optical.

Comment

I've never got a Boss compressor to work for, of course, those were GC demos. In your perticular line up I think you don't really need a compressor still it's nice to have. Jim Root has an older boos compressor with lead soldering because he it gives him a different tone then the ones without lead solder.
                      ...Cause in the interest of all involved I got the problem solved and the verdict is guilty...

Comment

.....Oh the tone is in the solder now

Comment

Working...
                        X