Noise Supressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Supressors?

Im looking for some advice on a good noise suppressor. i bought a boss ns-2 for cheap a while back and at low volumes it works great. but once i crank the volume it just doesn't quite cut it. whats the difference between a noise suppressor and a noise gate? what do you all suggest for a decent noise gate?

Re: Noise Supressors?

All noise gates are noise suppressor, but not all noise suppressors are noise gates.

Gates are the simplest. They simply set a threshold, below which all (or most, depending on settings)signal is cut off. They tend to work well as long as you don't need to hear the natural decay of a note/chord. There are also multi band gates, which filter individual frequency ranges separately. And then there are other types of noise reduction devices and plugins that, as far as I understand, are just plain powered by voodoo.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

aah sounds pretty complex. so for me all i wanna do is eliminate the hum and be able to stop a note on the spot. what do you suggest?

Comment

behringer NR300
        if it were something you would be turning on and off, maybe you should get something of a higher quality
        but this is an always on, "at-the-end-of-the-chain," Pedal
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I will swear by the ISP Decimator II G-string. Smartest gate I have ever used. Amazing design goes both at the beginning of your guitar pedal chain and after the noisiest components but before delays and reverb, all in the same pedal. Guitar in, guitar out, decimator in, decimator out. Tracks the signal at guitar ins and applies gate at decimator ins. Always squeezes the last bit of pure guitar signal out before applying gate effect. Amazing gate
          Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
          Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
          Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            behringer NR300
            if it were something you would be turning on and off, maybe you should get something of a higher quality
            but this is an always on, "at-the-end-of-the-chain," Pedal
            I use one of these pedals in combination with a couple of very noisey emulating pedals I own. It does the job and for $25 is a worthwhile experiment. You can "feel" it kick in/out as it functions, so it's not 100% transparent, but listeners won't notice it.
            Yep, the Behringer pedals are plastic, so continual 'stomping' probably isn't a good idea.

Comment

Heard nothing but good things about the ISPs...
              "Scalloped & Stickered"
              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

That would be my pick for a pedal-based NR, as well. Definitely falls under "runs on magic" for me, because I have no idea how it works. But it does.

Originally posted by Wormhelmet View Post
                I will swear by the ISP Decimator II G-string. Smartest gate I have ever used. Amazing design goes both at the beginning of your guitar pedal chain and after the noisiest components but before delays and reverb, all in the same pedal. Guitar in, guitar out, decimator in, decimator out. Tracks the signal at guitar ins and applies gate at decimator ins. Always squeezes the last bit of pure guitar signal out before applying gate effect. Amazing gate
                Last edited by St_Genesius; 07-18-2015, 05:42 AM.
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I used an MXR Smart Gate for a while. No noise in my signal. The Decimator is a good choice too.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I used and swore by a Boss NS-2 for about 6 years. Used a ISP Descimator once and bought it. It's just better than the boss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
                    2 Mesa Boogie .50 Cal+ heads
                    King Custom Cabinets

http://horsecore.net (deadhorse)
                    http://myspace.com/pasadenanapalmdivision
                    http://myspace.com/forcefedaustin

Comment

What's the difference between the $125 ISP and the $225 ISP?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Another vote for the ISP. Just not worth messing around with anything else in my opinion. I've owned the G String II pedal, older ISP Pedal and Rackmount Gstring II (best of all of them). They are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          What's the difference between the $125 ISP and the $225 ISP?
                          The G-String ($225 model) has the loop.

Rocktron has a similar model called the Guitar Silencer. Whether it's as good as the ISP is debatable, but it is $100 less.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                            The G-String ($225 model) has the loop.

Rocktron has a similar model called the Guitar Silencer. Whether it's as good as the ISP is debatable, but it is $100 less.

Is that really the same? ISP is not a loop really. If you just use guitar in, guitar out, there is no gating. You have to use the dec in dec out jacks. That is where the gating happens. Guitar in/out jacks are just meant to hook up and track guitar signal, then when signal gets to weakest point, applies gate at dec in. Dec out is gated signal back to whatever next pedal is.

Example would be signal chain like this:

Guitar - isp guitar in, isp guitar out, wah, dirt box, amp, fx send to dec in, dec out to delay, chorus, reverb, fx return.

Tracks guitar, applies gate after preamp gain and all noisy sources, delays after for tails to ring out.

Hadn't seen the Rocktron one, but if the send and return are required for gating, then it is the same
                            Last edited by Wormhelmet; 07-19-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I just read through the Rocktron manual and indeed it does work the same. Hadn't seen that one before. Nice find.

Comment

Working...
                              X