Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still looking at overdrives

Originally posted by Diego View Post
    GJ is so right regarding amp/pedal interaction.

Through my amp for example the Joyo Sweet Baby sounds killer. Tried it on a friend's Laney VH100R and it sounded so ordinary and blah.
    He'd heard it through my amp and loved it. We didn't get anything even remotely impressive from it. Maybe it likes open back cabs better?

Through my amp the Metal Muff Top Boost is a piece of ****. Through his Laney? Holy crap. It's a bomb.
    I really loved the Metal Muff W/Top Boost thru my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...until I got a ProCo Rat and ProCo Solo. But different pedals definitely interact and sound better/worse thru different amps.

Comment

I've owned a Rhino twice, something about it always sounds off to me no matter where I put the curve and 100HZ knobs. Maybe if I played in standard more.

Lots of volume in there as a boost though.

Comment

I've spent the last two hours playing with my Airis Savage 2.0 and I really can't get enough. It is my favourite in my collection including OD808, Green Screamer, an old TS-9, and OD-1.

Comment

I gave the ERD a run through tonight, first impression is pretty good. It's more neutral than I was expecting, less mid-centric than the TS. More low end too, and not as "transistorized" sounding. It doesn't have as much headroom as I was hoping for, but it does what I was wanting it to, sharpen attack and reduce flub. I'm still gonna build an aeon drive for this purpose, but I think this will work well for the mean time. It's a lot nicer sounding than my MIJ TS9.

The higher drive settings for traditional OD usage are really impressive. That's not a sound I usually like from most OD's, but it sounds better to me than most of the drives I've tried with the drive up. Much smoother, less raspy. I read somewhere last week that analogman helped with the circuit design and component selection, and it's a straight vintage TS808 copy, unlike the TS808/OD808's currently in production. I think you guys should check it out. Recommended.

Comment

Whoa, I just looked up that Airis Savage, that thing sounds rad. I hadn't thought about removing clippers entirely.

Comment

My favorite overdrive of all time is probably a fulldrive 2 mosfet. That thing turned my 2204 into a beast. I don't use od's anymore as I have an amp that has enough without them, but the new Randall FACEPUNCH is cool. I think it's just a treble boost with extra knobs, but it's rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Re: Still looking at overdrives - Jekyll and Hyde V3

+1 on the Fulldrive 2. It is switchable from boost to flat mids to boosted mids sound. The high end can be rolled off and the bass is still there. And it sounds great in all of my, three of them, amps.

Am currently trying a Jekyll and Hyde V3. I didn't like the V1 or V2 versions. This is a step forward. It can be used as two separate pedals - OD and distortion separately with their own inputs and outputs, OD into distortion, and distortion into OD. When using either the OD or the distortion alone, it is responsive to pick attack. Then stacking, this pedal gains up quickly [my wording sucks!]. I have not spent enough time with the sides stacked to become really comfortable with them high gain mode yet.

The OD seems to have flat mids [I'm borrowing a term from the Full Drive 2 for one of its settings] to me. It includes a wet / dry mix and does a good clean boost. The distortion side has two voices A and B. The A voice reminds me of why I didn't like the V1 or V2 versions.

This might not be the best place to put my opinion - hate speaking up about this, I aint no reviewer. Only bringing it up cause this is an OD discussion.

The B voice seems like on old friend. To make a long story short, I went thorough the instruction sheet and suggested settings. It sounds much better than what was posted on the first youtube videos. The distortion side dials down into the top of the OD range. So I am currently using the distortion side and into the OD side as a boost. Sorry, I cant post sound clips.

Played the suggested settings. Some of them were plain and needed some adjusting, and other jumped right out and grabbed me. Yes, I'd suggest this pedal despite the higher price.
                Last edited by Condemned soul; 07-28-2015, 09:18 PM. Reason: sloppy writing
                That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                X