Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss od-1

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    I found this while looking around in the net. Straight from the mouth of Analog Mike:
    Analogmans 0d-1 mod:
    The older OD1s with the quad op amp were MUCH better sounding. You can get 90% of their tone on the newer OD1s with the following mod:

C1 C6 and C7 .047 -> .1
    C2 .0047 -> .047

I have also removed the dual opamp and installed a quad but VERY difficult as they are in upside down and several traces need to be redone, and several bias resistors need to be removed or changed to run the op amp. The chip change did not help as much as the cap change.

have fun!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforu...topic=27356.20
    grate poste! Gude wurke!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I found this while looking around in the net. Straight from the mouth of Analog Mike:
      Analogmans 0d-1 mod:
      The older OD1s with the quad op amp were MUCH better sounding. You can get 90% of their tone on the newer OD1s with the following mod:

C1 C6 and C7 .047 -> .1
      C2 .0047 -> .047

I have also removed the dual opamp and installed a quad but VERY difficult as they are in upside down and several traces need to be redone, and several bias resistors need to be removed or changed to run the op amp. The chip change did not help as much as the cap change.

have fun!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforu...topic=27356.20
      I came across this as well several years ago when I was working in my conversion. Really helpful. I reference this stuff in my conversion notes as well so I don't forget.

The OD-1 (8-pin chip version), SD-1 and Tubescreamer are the same circuit design with part value differences being the the main thing and with the OD-1 utilizing the inverting opamp input and the other two use the non-inverting input.

While the 14-pin version is more desirable, the 8-pin is more common as it was in production a lot longer.

When I have some more time on my hands I'd like to do another conversion.

Comment

Aside from "because everyone says so" is there any hard evidence that these changes had as dramatic an effect as is always reported? I've seen these same old arguments for years as justification for the inflation of prices on old pedals, from BOSS to the Whammy, it's always the same: they changed something in the circuit and some intangible element was removed.

Where's the science? Where are the unbiased, not-tweaked-to-reinforce-one-man's-opinion audio clips? I find it difficult to believe that electrical engineers building audio devices were going simply by end-result oscilloscope readings with no concern for the audible portion, especially since Roland had in-house players to test these things and would have reported that the new revision sounds drastically different.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
          Aside from "because everyone says so" is there any hard evidence that these changes had as dramatic an effect as is always reported? I've seen these same old arguments for years as justification for the inflation of prices on old pedals, from BOSS to the Whammy, it's always the same: they changed something in the circuit and some intangible element was removed.

Where's the science? Where are the unbiased, not-tweaked-to-reinforce-one-man's-opinion audio clips? I find it difficult to believe that electrical engineers building audio devices were going simply by end-result oscilloscope readings with no concern for the audible portion, especially since Roland had in-house players to test these things and would have reported that the new revision sounds drastically different.
          To be honest im quite sure that an sd-1 can be modded to sound the same or better or even completely different for very little in the way of coin, but i kinda want the old pedal cos the two knobber looks so cool!
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-29-2015, 05:09 AM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

And that's pretty much what I expected.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The OD-1 arrived today. its cool. quite loose and spongy and with a lot of attitude. It sounds better than my fulldrive. Its clearer and looser at the same time. Maybe its because it has no tone circuit. The fulldrive was either too bright or too dull by comparison, whereas even tho the OD-1 has no tone control, it just seemed to sound great and didn't need any adjustment.
                The downside is that it does not provide much in the way of level boost - pretty much none at all when the drive knob is at minimum and the level is at max. I did the mods recommended by analogman which really didn't do a whole lot (c1,c6,c7) i also changed c2 which seemed to give a little more punch. I changed c3 to tailor the bass response, but ended up returning that back to stock, which is what sounded best. Plenty of snarl.
                I've ended up just maxing the level and then using the overdrive to add the meat and veg. Thats fine, it still gives plenty of grunt that way.
                Anyways, yep its definitely a really cool pedal. Maybe nice if i could have more boost volume wise, but its really just my eyes telling me that the level control should be around 12 o clock rather than dimed. The grit gets pretty hot pretty quickly. I guess once the clipping diodes max out there is not much more they can do except sustain a bit longer.

Long story short: great, loose, organic, old skool sounding overdrive with bags of attitude and nuance. It even sounds great on its own thru a twin reverb.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

actually, scratch that last post about needing more level. It's got heaps.
                  Fantastic pedal.
                  Probably the best overdrive i have tried for the sounds i like thru a big fender amp.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

what changed?

Comment

So you are running a OD-1 and BD-2w?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

As for my last post, I'm pretty sure I had the same OD-1 that Gibson175 and MetalManiac have, not the earlier quad op amp rare version. Who knows....it was before the days of internet research and I was a teenager that didn't tear my pedals apart. All I know is I sold the OD-1 to buy the SD-1, plugged it in, and knew I'd made a mistake.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          what changed?
                          nuthin. i was just getting mad with volume after sitting in front of the amp for so many hours.
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            So you are running a OD-1 and BD-2w?
                            yeah. and a cs-2.
                            I reckon i will probably do sundays gig with just the od-1. I just like the way it sounds on its own and leave it on and ride my guitar controls. Less stuff in the chain too and less tapdancing. Its a duo gig with a drummer so i dont need to have extra boosts to "jump out of the mix" at any stage so having major volumes boosts is not really necessary.
                            Im gonna use the twin reverb rather than my normal JTM style amp tho. Its fun to have all that headroom and spacious reverb rather that needing to find a place to hang out in the midrange and staying out of the way of the bassist etc.
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-31-2015, 07:04 PM.
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                            X