banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody familiar with the old DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody familiar with the old DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus?

My friend, who does hi-performance auto tuning, was cleaning out his attic and found this and gave it to me. The pots are super scratchy and need cleaning. But fiddling with them, I found a position where I could get it to work. A little. When I get the time, I'll clean it up proper and make it work. But can anyone tell me about these? Are they old classics or old duds?

Artie

P.S. Comparing it to my Boss CH-1 Super Chorus . . . The Boss is much more pronounced. The DOD is subtle. But the DOD may not be working properly.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-13-2015, 06:22 PM.

Re: Anybody familiar with the old DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus?

I had one BITD...and a 60....

I preferred the 60. it was warmer sounding..But once I got my CE2, that was all she wrote. At the time I felt the DOD pedals were clearly inferior tonally to their BOSS counterparts..And certainly inferior when it came to the switch I found all the DOD pedals I had back then pretty unreliable (switch). Nowadays , Im note sure how I would feel about the tone, but the switches are still an issue.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

thats pretty much my assessment too. i thought boss sounded better back in the day and while that may have changed since my tastes and understanding of how to use pedals isnt the same, those ****ty switches are still ****.

Comment

Solid-state switches and pots have always crapped out on me. Give me the old-school metal cases with hard-contact switches, and pots with copper wipers all day.

I had an FX65, but it was too laid back for me.
        sigpic
        "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
        Originally posted by Lewguitar
        In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

I have one, it's great for a straightforward '80s cheese chorus sound. It doesn't make the densest chorus sound, but it does the job well enough. To me, any chorus is a good chorus as long as it doesn't completely ruin the tone, and provides the chorusing effect. I haven't bothered looking for a different chorus, once it inevitably breaks, I'll probably just get some Chorus Ensemble or something.
          Last edited by Myaccount876; 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Generic old chorus. Not bad, not good.

The Boss can do anything it can and more.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Actually, the older two-knob version of this pedal is my favorite of the four chorus pedals I have. The Boss CE-3 that I currently have on my board is good, but it is sometimes a little TOO thick; the DOD is cleaner, clearer and cuts through better. The Boss isn't bad, by any means. It's just a matter of taste. I sbould say that I prefer the earlier two-knob version to the later three-knob.

Another great old-school chorus is the DOD Performer. This one has three knobs that allow you to adjust the width and the depth of the effect. This makes for a very versatile pedal. I use it on my acoustic board, and it gives a credible 12-string simulation.

It's a good score for you. Congrats.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Good info. Thanks all. I took it apart to clean it, but ran out of Deoxit. As soon as my new can comes in, I'll shoot it and retry it.

Film@11

Artie

Comment

The DOD FX65 was the first pedal I ever bought. It was the mid-'80s and I walked into GC Hollywood and told the guy, "I want to sound like Pat Metheny." He said, "Then you'll need a chorus pedal." He showed me the FX65 and I asked "How much?" He said, "It's normally, $85, but I'll sell it to you for $80." I remember thinking to myself, "Wow. This guy doesn't even know me and he's cutting me an inside deal. This place rocks!" I bought it.

Ah, I was so naive.

But I used that chorus throughout the late-'80s. When digital chorus first came out, a lot of the analog boxes got a bad rap as being 'behind the times,' including my FX65. But say what you will, it had a pretty lush, usable, '80s sound, and I never had any quality issues with mine. Years later, I got a vintage Boss CE-1 and it blew the FX65 away. But I don't consider them in the same category. I think it's a good score, Artie!
                  Last edited by Evan Skopp; 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM. Reason: I still don't sound like Pat Metheny
                  Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                  Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks Evan. I like it. It's subtle analog, but usable. But I need to play with it more.

Comment

My favorite chorus pedal. Seriously. I had a couple, and one sounded a little bit thicker than the other one. I liked it better than other DOD models, Boss, Ibanez, Ross, Arion and MXR pedals. Just enough to add some color but not overpowering or cheesy.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                        My favorite chorus pedal.
                        Cool. This one has been sitting in my friends attic longer than Deoxit can fix. I'm going to replace the pots, then try it again. I have high hopes for this.

Comment

Working...
                        X