What's your favorite distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite distortion?

Don't get the JHS. Changes the thing completely into a fuzz. Personally, I'd go with the Allums' mod. It's closer to mine... in fact, change one of the silicon diodes to a germanium one and it'll get even closer, I guess.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
      Don't get the JHS. Changes the thing completely into a fuzz. Personally, I'd go with the Allums' mod. It's closer to mine... in fact, change one of the silicon diodes to a germanium one and it'll get even closer, I guess.
      I heard about the germanium mod–was suppose to be as close to the original as a Rat 2 can get. And thanks for the heads up on the JHS–I definitely do NOT want a fuzz pedal. lol

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        The Empress Heavy gets my vote for favourite distortion pedal.
        +1

I'm surprised it hasn't become more popular by now. Maybe it's the price. But it's worth every penny. After years of going thru pedals I stopped after getting it last year. Some say it lacks dynamics, but I feel they can be in the lower gain settings, just before it gets too thin. Sounds great with a TS type pedal in front as well.

My next favorite is the V1 Jeckyl & Hyde distorton side, only after I added a bass adjustment knob. Without it the bass is overwhelming, causing an overall scooped effect. Dropping some bass allows mids to come through when matching the same volume setting used with the stock bass. This mod required a mod for more overall volume on the distortion. Works ok for leads but best for rhythm. Also great with the gain set lower, for airer, mild OD fendery tones, versus thicker TS type tones.

Still happy with these two.

Comment

Fulltone OCD, Wampler Plextortion, BOSS DS1.

Comment

I really like the old Marshall pedals.

Comment

Working...
            X