Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Simplest Rackmount rig

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    If I was to put together a rack setup for live use, this is what it would have:

Furman Power Conditioner
    Korg Rack Tuner
    Marshall JMP-1 preamp
    Lexicon MX200 multi-effects
    Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp

That would then run out to a couple of 1x12 or 2x12 cabs.

It certainly wouldn't be cheap.
    Does the JMP-1 have a parallel loop? I tried to use an MX200 in a guitar rack a few years ago, but it mutes while switching with no dry spillover. Unless you can run it in a parallel loop or some sort of mixer aux, it just doesn't work for guitar. That's really a shame because some of the effects were awesome; particularly the phase shifter.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      Does the JMP-1 have a parallel loop? I tried to use an MX200 in a guitar rack a few years ago, but it mutes while switching with no dry spillover. Unless you can run it in a parallel loop or some sort of mixer aux, it just doesn't work for guitar. That's really a shame because some of the effects were awesome; particularly the phase shifter.
      I believe so, yes. There are is a mod out there that makes it a serial loop. It's been so long since I've used one. It's a cool preamp.

Comment

I believe so, yes. There are is a mod out there that makes it a serial loop. It's been so long since I've used one. It's a cool preamp.
        I just checked the JMP-1 manual and it does have a parallel loop, so the MX200 would work great.

If I were building that rack I'd consider an MX300 for the greater programming flexibility, and switch to a Mesa 50/50 (the older one, not the 2:50) for the power amp. I briefly had a rack with a JMP-1 & 50/50 and it just nailed Dave Mustaine's sound from Cryptic Writings.

Throw in a pair of Bogner Cubes or Marshall 1966A / 2061 cabs and you'd be set.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          I just checked the JMP-1 manual and it does have a parallel loop, so the MX200 would work great.

If I were building that rack I'd consider an MX300 for the greater programming flexibility, and switch to a Mesa 50/50 (the older one, not the 2:50) for the power amp. I briefly had a rack with a JMP-1 & 50/50 and it just nailed Dave Mustaine's sound from Cryptic Writings.

Throw in a pair of Bogner Cubes or Marshall 1966A / 2061 cabs and you'd be set.
          It's an appealing setup, I admit. I'm rather simple though so I don't have a real need for it unless all my amps decided to die at once. Then I'd probably look at this sort of option. Heck, I could get away with excluding the effects processor and just putting a reverb and delay pedal in the loop.

Comment

It's an appealing setup, I admit. I'm rather simple though so I don't have a real need for it unless all my amps decided to die at once. Then I'd probably look at this sort of option. Heck, I could get away with excluding the effects processor and just putting a reverb and delay pedal in the loop.
            If I really wanted to go all-out, I'd up the ante to an Egnater M4 (with a few select modules), TC G-Force, & Mesa Simul 395. The problem is that I've been down that road a few times, and the tone just never justifies carrying all the extra crap and dealing with the associated headaches.

I just need to play more often so I get reminded of how good my current rig sounds.

Comment

Eleven Rack and a power amp is a pretty inexpensive, and sounds good.

Comment

A friend of mine uses the Fractal AXE FX II, and frankly it is an amazing system. He uses it with one of the old Tubeworks MOSFET amps and a pair of 212 vertical cabs. I seriously thought about one but opted for the Mesa Mark V combo and cab, which I am very happy with.

One advantage to the Fractal is that they are constantly releasing updates, so the obsolescence and depreciation are slowed somewhat.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post

One advantage to the Fractal is that they are constantly releasing updates, so the obsolescence and depreciation are slowed somewhat.

Bill
                  It can be a headache too though. Sometimes those updates change the sound of the amp models making the previous optimum user saved presets needing reconfig to sound right. With the amount of updates they used to release & the amount of deep settings available in that unit, it could develop into a psychotic obsession to need to change the fine details very often & much less time playing. Sure one doesnt have to go into deep editing but if the option is available which tone freak wouldn't.

With something like that, i would need to hire a sound engineer to get it set up for me. Lol

Comment

Working...
                  X