• Show
Clear All

• Holeyboards: a sort of review

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	5838505

After a few years of using a board I built myself, which slowly fell apart (not structurally, but the tolex peeled and the carpet came unstuck) I decided to invest in a commercially available pre-made board. Ended up grabbing a Standard size Holeyboard from Chemical Works.

The Good:

It's the perfect size for me. The shape is nice. You can hide your power supply under the riser. Cabling can all be run underneath the board to give a clean(ish) look up top.

The not quite as good:

The hole placement works out pretty much perfect for cabling, but for zip tying the pedals down, there often wasn't a hole quite where I wanted there to be a hole. Hard to fault them for that, as you can't predict every dingle pedal permutation, but it led to some kinda awkward tie-downs.

The Bad:

It scratches if you look at it funny. Now, these things come in several different finishes, including a lot of limited run special colors, so maybe other versions don't have this problem (or don't show it as much) but in dark brown, it scratches VERY easily and shows them pretty badly. Most of the scratching I've caused is hidden by the pedals that caused it, but if I lifted them up, you'd see a board that looks like it's been on tour for a year, despite only sitting in my living room (and only having a couple of rearrangements).
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: Holeyboards: a sort of review

Oh, and since it's not 100% intuitive, here's the signal chain order:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Labelled Pedal Board.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	5788435
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I bought one of those that I have yet to assemble, or (perhaps more pressing) even put the finish on. I bought mine unfinished, with the intention of putting my own finish on it. There will be primer, there will be color coats, there will be clear coats... or I might just seal and marine epoxy the blessed thing. Haven't decided yet.
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Woah, reverb before RAT, Chorus, Tremolo and delay?

Is that for a specific effect or due to cabling restrictions and usage?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Specific effect. The RV-2 handles traditional reverb stuff for me. The HoF is set a bit more crazy, and running the Rat after it creates this huge wash.

Basically the board works like this:

Comp, FTL, SL Drive: Used in various combinations to change the gain staging. I fiddle here quite a bit. This is the bedrock of my sound and there are a few flavors on tap by tweaking these three pedals.

HoF: Big plate Reverb, with modulation. On a lot, but not always.

Rat: Rarely on. Only for that specific, Raveonettes-type thing.

Chorus: Probably the least likely to be on, overall. But when you want it; you need it.

Trem: Usually on, set to fairly fast, with mild depth. Gives eveything a cool shimmering energy that you wouldn't likely recognize as Tremelo. Also use it for normal stuff too. This pedal has started acting up on me a bit. Hope it doesn't die. Love the sound.

Delay: A fairly fiddly pedal, but great sounds, a lot of which ride the edge between delay and reverb. If it's on, the other 'verbs are probbaly off. Expression pedal used mainly to control repeats.

RV-2: Just a bit of ambience and space. Usually on, even when the HoF is running.
          Last edited by St_Genesius; 09-01-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Cool, I dig it.

I really like the modulated plate reverb on the HOF mini. I made my own patch that starts as a subtle plate, as the knob increases so does the mix. At 50% the decay increases and the modulation rolls in. So with one knob sweep I can for from subtle plate to over the top modulated long tail verb.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Mine doesn't allow me to fit some, never mind all of my pedals...

I need a bigger pedal board!
              Attached Files
              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Still haven't wired it up yet?

Also, I assume you'll be getting a CataPulp?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Stratman... Do you work for Wampler?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Still haven't wired it up yet?

Also, I assume you'll be getting a CataPulp?
                    You mean this one?

Yea, I go it also.... In fact, I own all pedals within the Wampler pedal line!
                    Attached Files
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                      Stratman... Do you work for Wampler?
                      Nope, I just enjoy high quality pedals!

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                        Nope, I just enjoy high quality pedals!
                        How do you like that Octaswitch? Been looking into one myself lately, but it's fairly pricy...
                        Can you set it up to have modulation/time based effects in the loop of the amp as well as pedals up front?
                        Last edited by SrDeMaFp; 09-16-2015, 11:32 AM.
                        -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                        I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                          You mean this one?

Yea, I go it also.... In fact, I own all pedals within the Wampler pedal line!
                          Looks like you've got another one to acquire...

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                          X