X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied
    Re: Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

For clean boost I found BBE's Boosta Grande to be pretty impressive. I keep it at the end of my signal chain to get more of what I already have. A clean boost can also be put in your effect loop so it bypasses the preamp section and pushes the output tubes harder.

But if you want a boost with a mid bump I'd have to say an EQ or some sort of Tube Screamer derivative. Realizing you already have a tube screamer, have you considered stacking a second tube screamer in there? You could set one for low gain with the level turned up for a boost and the other set however you have been normally using it. Then depending where you place the one configured for boost it will either goose the front of the amp or the other pedal. I have a Visual Sound Double Trouble (think dual modified TS 808's each with bass boost and more clean headroom) and I have it set so the first circuit is a boost that pushes the dirty circuit to make it even dirtier. With the amp set just barely breaking up and the second circuit as the boost it pushes the amp to overdrive.

Leave a comment:

• jacksen
    replied

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Too bad that's not a real production pedal.... That's awesome.

Did you rehouse or build from board-up?
    My friend from DIY forum made it for me with some mods
    You can change the voltage 9V to 18V which gives you more headroom
    You can change the order EP->BB or BB->EP

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Too bad that's not a real production pedal.... That's awesome.

Did you rehouse or build from board-up?

Leave a comment:

• jacksen
    replied

how about this??

Leave a comment:

• Stix
    replied

Of course, we're on a SD forum, how could we ever forget the Pickup Booster! I've never owned one myself, but two of my friends do and they say only good things about it!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I know this is sort of an older thread...but why not show love for our own Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster? It is a great clean boost for solos, and can add fatness due to the resonance switch. It is also true-bypass and super low-noise. On 0, there is no boost at all, but then it can add up to 25dB of gain to punish the input of the amp.

Leave a comment:

• Stix
    replied

It sounds like the Xotic RC booster might be just the pedal for you. The bass and treble controls give you a lot of tonal versatility. Turn them both down and raise the volume - you've got a mid boost. Turn both up - mid scoop. The lower half of the gain knob range keeps it clean, just adding compression as you turn up. In the upper half of the gain range it starts adding a little bit of dirt of its own. The ultimate boost pedal if you ask me.

Reasons to get a single knob pedal over the RC might be only if:
    - you need the small footprint of the single-knobbers
    -the RC is too expensive for you

I don't want to sound like a Xotic fanboy, but if you want a single knob pedal, I'd recommend the EP booster. A great pedal too!

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    replied

The Spark is my favorite. I am wanting to get one myself very soon.

Leave a comment:

• guitarSQUIRELL
    replied

TC Spark Mini. I own one and I am really pleased with what it does.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

I ended up going for a Blackstar LT Boost. It was cheap, and it sounded great to me. It was not clean by any means, but it's more like a very very mild overdrive. The pedal itself does push the mids a bit (not nearly as much as a TS, though), and you have the ability to fine-tune the bass and the treble.

Leave a comment:

• jimijames
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    im very surprised no one has mentioned the fulltone fat boost since it does exactly what you want. a little grit, more mids (if you set the eq that way) and a little compression.
    IIRC the fulltone is a variant of a paul Cochrane design which uses a an input buffer into a jfet mu-amp style booster. The jfets do compress some naturally but there's no dedicated compressor like with some boosts.

That being said the EP does compress a bit too. A lot of 'clean' boosts aren't really clean - so I like to think of them as either tone enhancers or solo boosts. Plus with a solo you do want some compression and a different EQ so I think the best "clean boost" for those applications is something like the fat boost which does a little of both.

Leave a comment:

• Progbusters
    replied

my Homebrew CPR can do that. Its a compressor.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

im very surprised no one has mentioned the fulltone fat boost since it does exactly what you want. a little grit, more mids (if you set the eq that way) and a little compression.

Leave a comment:

• jimijames
    replied

Another vote for the ep booster, I have a madbean fatpants (soon to be replaced with fatpants Jr. When it comes out) and it does exactly what you're describing. Hint of compression, re-eq, and the distortion sounds positively 3-D when I kick it on

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

I've used a ton of different things for what you are looking to do. I love the MXR/CAE 401 for my boost, it tends to tighten up the amp and add some natural compression when it hits the front of my Mesa Roadster end harder. If you need an EQ and Compressor (or any combination of pedals) to achieve what you are trying to do, I would suggest using a loop switch to trigger them both (or more than two) at the same time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X