Vapor Tail delay: 18 V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Tail delay: 18 V

I've scoured the interwebs and found nothing on this: Has anyone actually tried the Vapor Trail at 18V? If so:
    1) What effect does it actually have, as compared to 9V? (I know for many pedals that can accept 18V, they advertise "more headroom", but I've never understood what that actually means.)
    2) Can you power it with a Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2+ via the Voodoo Lab voltage doubler adapter? In every photo I've seen, the end of the adapter that goes into the pedal, while labeled as a 2.1 mm plug jack, actually looks like the male side and thus not compatible with the pedal receptacle.
    3) Is it really a recommended option? Many of the sales pages state that, while it will accept 18V, that 9V is preferred...which makes me wonder if this is just a sales pitch for players who are running an 18V/24V system.

I'm not looking for a sales pitch on the pedal; I already own it and love it. Just wondering if it's worth trying the 18V option, now that I've ended my relationship with 9V batteries by getting my first pedalboard and power supply.

Re: Vapor Tail delay: 18 V

I think I've figured out #2, from the connector perspective. Use the adapter into 2 outputs on the PP2+ side, then connect the standard 2.1-to-2.1 female/female cable to the adapter on one side and my VT on the other. Still, if anyone has actually used the PP2+ this way and can confirm, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Probably uses a voltage regulator that clamps the input voltage down into the appropriate voltage, as required by the chips inside.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i have one and like it a lot but havent tried it at 18v

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Probably uses a voltage regulator that clamps the input voltage down into the appropriate voltage, as required by the chips inside.
          This is the most likely explanation. Remember I do not work for Duncan and I'm not saying this based on inside knowledge. But I believe this pedal, as many other new, affordable delays, are using the Chinese BBD's that do not like to be powered over 10v. In fact, many I've worked with don't like more than 8 or 9 volts. So the designers regulate the supply inside.

Now, what I don't know is whether the power to everything is regulated. It's entirely possible that the rest of the audio (dry signal, feedback loop, summing stages) would benefit from the increased voltage while the BBD's still clip based on 8-9v.
          Last edited by frankfalbo; 09-24-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X