banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've tried to like delay but it's such a finicky effect in my experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've tried to like delay but it's such a finicky effect in my experience...

Delay is an interesting effect. I avoided it for a long time, but I've been using it for the last few years. Like all my effects, I try to use it tastefully and judiciously. There's are a lot of players that really make me wonder if they can actually play a single lick without it.

Don't be surprised if you wind up with two or three different delays on your board. You might want a basic digital, an analog or tape delay simulator, and a programmable multi-delay with tap-tempo.

There are several artists that layer their delays...Andy Timmons and Joe Satriani come to mind. If that's the type of sound you're looking for, be prepared to copy the rig of your favorite artist. Do remember that trying to copy recorded tones with mere pedals can lead to frustration of the Nth degree.

Best case scenario, you keep learning, listening and adjusting until you learn what works for each song. And then eventually, the light comes on and you develope your "signature" delay settings...that all of us will be trying to copy!

Good luck!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Delay in the FX loop set at 400ms with 3-4 repeats low in the mix, 15% or so, and you can leave it on all the time. With it set like that it just fattens things up, adds some life and air and is only really noticeable when you stop playing and you hear the repeats.
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I had a Boss DD5 and it made me hate delay altogether. Sounded really bad, dry and dead.

I prefer thicker/darker sounding units, what you'd associate with analog delays. Not too long delay time, go easy on the feedback, set mix to taste and if it doubt, go lower.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
          low in the mix... it just fattens things up, adds some life and air and is only really noticeable when you stop playing and you hear the repeats.

+1. That's where delay really shines, especially for solos.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
            Delay in the FX loop set at 400ms with 3-4 repeats low in the mix, 15% or so, and you can leave it on all the time. With it set like that it just fattens things up, adds some life and air and is only really noticeable when you stop playing and you hear the repeats.
            That's pretty much how I do it as well. Every once in a while I find a song where it helps to tap the tempo in before the quick stop, but for the most part I can leave it alone without any trouble.
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I use the Vapor Trail, with a volume pedal in the effect's insert. I bring the delay up louder at different points in the song, sometimes constantly varying the level throughout a solo. I couldn't ever use a constant delay throughout everything anymore.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

(Assuming you have a 3 knob delay)

I like everything at around 10:30/ 11:00 for solos and then I turn it off for rhythm.

Occasionally I'll raise the delay time to around 1:00 for leads.

Slapback is nice for clean things.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I've never gotten the hang of delays either.

I've always said, "I'm not good enough for delay"
                  -Greg

Guitars:
                  2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                  2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                  2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                  Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I dial my delay in almost like a reverb. I want just enough wetness to make my notes pop and bloom.
                    You have to fiddle with it. Find a sweet spot that works with chords and leads.
                    A lot of players say, "my tone is dry, I dont wetten it.."
                    Then they get in the studio and the engineer adds all the effects they refuse because it sounds like crap.
                    I don't run a lot of effects unless it's for a song or I have a creative thing while I'm writing.
                    I do run on gain all the time. Delay and some Reverb, mostly room sounding.
                    Cleans, I always run the above effects but I add Chorus for my cleans.
                    I like Delay, it adds depth and brightens my sound up some.

Comment

Wow, this far into a Delay thread and nobody has mentioned how they love the MXR Carbon Copy. I see it on a lot of people's boards and also on the rig rundowns on YouTube.
                      1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
                      Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
                      1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
                      Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
                      USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
                      MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
                      Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)

Comment

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
                        Wow, this far into a Delay thread and nobody has mentioned how they love the MXR Carbon Copy. I see it on a lot of people's boards and also on the rig rundowns on YouTube.
                        I've actually wanted a Carbon Copy for leads for a while. It's been some time since I last owned any delay pedal (I only really used it within my Line 6 POD), but it kinda bugs me that it does seem extremely finicky and difficult to get it in tempo with the song. I wonder if it really does matter if it's not in tempo with the song if you're using it just for that kinda spacey, almost reverb-like effect on leads.

Comment

300-400ms is the ideal range for using a delay as reverb. The problem I've always had with reverbs is they add the springy sound like surf and country, which is ok for surf and country, but not much else.

No more than 30% on the output level, and keep the repeats to about 30% or less.

Of course it also depends on the response level of the unit in question. I've always used Digitech racks, so the settings may be different from pedals, but generally that's how I run them.

Works great for singing solos, sustained chords, sharp 2-part "low-then-high" chords, and clean-ish palm-muted arpeggiated/picked-out chords, or muted single-string accents, not so much for fast strumming or sweep picking.

I used delay-as-reverb with roughly the above-mentioned settings in this track:
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

There are hundreds of ways to use delay 'correctly'. It's hard to even talk about delay as a singular effect; analog, 'tape' and digital delay produce effects as different as a flanger and a chorus. They have a very similar effect but the subtle differences really shape the way you use them.

I generally use Digital (specifically older/Lo-Fi style Digital) delay on solos, and on pieces with a lot of notes. I generally set it to one-two repeats, with a delay time around 300ms ish and the mix turned down. It helps fatten up the sound of a solo, and the lack of tonal variation (no modulation, fairly close reflection of the original signal) help it sound more in tune and stops the solo from getting too crowded.

I like Analog Delay for two main purposes: Out of control oscillation and slapback. A little touch of modulation helps fatten up the sound or get you into the weird extremes of pitch vibrato that tape delay can't really do. Analog is pretty versatile, you can set the mix really low and get that dark reverby sound, you can turn the delay time all the way down and get a dirty springy slapback, you can open it all up and have crazy, messy repeats that feed infinitely into one another and crackle out into a fuzzy mess that distorts and breaks as you play with the pitch via the delay knob. Yeah it can get pretty weird, but I've used it in live sets in our more.. 'free' songs. Even for the slapback I generally like setting the repeats a bit higher so you get a twangy almost feedback-like edge that sounds really nasty when put into a pushed amp. Analog can be the most subtle and user friendly.. but I like it for the weird.

'Tape' delays refer to the multitude of digital reproductions of tape devices on the market now. They're really good, really cool. Ironically, my favorite way to use 'tape' delays is a setting not possible on older tape machines, with the delay time set really high. The limit on most of these older tape delays was maybe 300 ms, but I generally like anywhere between 400 and 1000 for those really spacey, warbly ambient sounds. I think these are also the hardest to use without your music sounding like an absolute mess, because most of them tend to run the delay through a filter which cuts out the bass (as old tape decks tended to do naturally) meaning that the delay sounds are really bright and present. It means that the repeats will always stand out, making it more important to really lock into a rhythm or risk your song sounding like a crowded mess.

Delay is probably my single favourite effect, every other effect on my board has it's tasteful use, but I'm almost always looking for an excuse to throw a little delay into a song. My small travel board has had the carbon copy on it for years, just because it can cop most/all the flavours I listed above, and it can do the weird stuff too. I remember feeling the same as you when I was 'learning' delay. The best way to stop it from feeling finnicky is to consciously step away from your board. Turn the delay on and go and stand somewhere that you wouldn't be tempted to play with it. Just pick a setting and sit there for 20 minutes and see what (if anything) you can come up with. Delay in and of itself isn't finnicky, you are as a player. You can also check out different gear channels (JustNick, Proguitarshop, Mike Hermans, Pete Thorn) and just listen to their reviews of delay pedals to get more of the possible sounds in your head. Pete thorn just did an awesome one recently where he NAILED the van halen delay sound with a Boss DM-2.

And if at the end of all this you decide that delay still isnt for you, that's cool. Just because delay fits me like a glove doesn't mean we have the same shaped hand!
                            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                            Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
                              That's because I like the Vapor Trail way, way better.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X