banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gassing for a New Distortion and New Overdrive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gassing for a New Distortion and New Overdrive.

Have some money to burn and I want to spend it on Guitar stuff of course! The only thing I can think that I need(well not really, but ; )is some new pedals, because we all know pedals are like potato chips you can't have just one. So I guess I need or want something from the Overdrive Spectrum and something from the Distortion Spectrum. No metal pedals. I do metal but not much and I got a couple good pedals there. So whats a good starting place? I have $300 to burn on 2 to 3 pedals.

Re: Gassing for a New Distortion and New Overdrive.

1) You'd rather go for 2 pedals or 3 ? 150$ or 100$ per pedal makes difference
    2) How much does the overdrive you're looking for will attract your sound? Rather for soft clipping boost for the solo or main claw for lead tone ?
    3) Any Fuzz ?
    4) Good starting place are Tube Screamer based effects, check Green Rhino or T-Rex Alberta If you want second option - main lead tone go for Fulltone series, for heavier styles OCD will do the job
    Need of FUZZ ?
    Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

I would suggest the following:

Distortion:
      Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion
      Mad Professor "1"
      ProCo Rat

Overdrive:
      Mad Professor Golden Cello
      Suhr Shiba Drive

Comment

$150 each? Give the Nick Greer stuff a shot... Or, buy the TC Electronic MojoMojo & whichever distortion speaks to you, and keep the other $200 for something else... They stack well.
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

What amp and guitar are you using, what pedals currently and how do you want your tone to differ from your current setup?

For overdrive do you want "transparent" (more of the amp tone/drive) or some character (like the Tube Screamer's signature mid hump) or somewhere in between?

For Distortion, what tone are you invisioning? Leads, rhythm or both? Traditional DS-1/Rat style distortion or "amp in a box"? As Czaro implies, some fuzz (especially Big Muff based) can function as a distortion as well.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you are looking for a great distortion/overdrive check out the Decibel 11 Dirt Clod. I got one as a review unit and ended up buying it. There was no way I was sending it back. It has two gain stages a diode to ground MXR+/DOD 250 type of tone and a 808 TS type of chip. The EQ will let you dial in anything your heart desires from a clean boost to subtle classic rock overdrive to Matt Pike types of dark high gain. The cool thing is the signal path is totally analog but the switching is digital. Therefore you can save 10 presets or use a midi device to control the unit. It is a lot smaller than it looks in pictures and doesn't take up a lot of real estate on your board.

I have set it like a Tube Screamer to bump my Marshall and have also used it with my Fender to get very high gain evil distortion. With both amps and with both applications it sounded phenomenal.

Last edited by Securb; 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              What amp and guitar are you using, what pedals currently and how do you want your tone to differ from your current setup?

For overdrive do you want "transparent" (more of the amp tone/drive) or some character (like the Tube Screamer's signature mid hump) or somewhere in between?

For Distortion, what tone are you invisioning? Leads, rhythm or both? Traditional DS-1/Rat style distortion or "amp in a box"? As Czaro implies, some fuzz (especially Big Muff based) can function as a distortion as well.
              This is a great point...amp would be helpful as well as the type of overdrive and distortion

Comment

What I have now
                Soul Food
                Saucy Box
                Hardwire SC-2
                Bad Monkey
                Big Muff
                TS 9
                MXR CB 78 Distortion
                OCD
                Rat
                Plimsoul
                Blues Driver
                Crunch Box
                EHX Glove

Comment

My amp is a Marshall 1 watt JCM 2000 through a Vintage 30 Cab

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                    I would suggest the following:

Distortion:
                    Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion
                    Mad Professor "1"
                    ProCo Rat

Overdrive:
                    Mad Professor Golden Cello
                    Suhr Shiba Drive
                    I will add the Suhr Riot to your list as well

Comment

That's a nice list of great pedals...

Three overdrives that are over the top for me are:
                      King of Tone (as recommended by TGWIF) - Awesome transparent OD that plays nice with your amp's natural tone
                      Timmy (as recommended by Jeremy) - Another great transparent OD that really lets you sculpt the overdrive sound with interesting pre-bass control and multiple clipping diode options.
                      Zendrive - Dumble inspired Tube Screamer, nice creamy leads at the upper end of the gain spectrum

For "distortion", I see you are a little light on fuzz, the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is a lot of fun with a Marshall style amp.

Good luck and have fun!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        That's a nice list of great pedals...

Three overdrives that are over the top for me are:
                        King of Tone (as recommended by TGWIF) - Awesome transparent OD that plays nice with your amp's natural tone
                        Timmy (as recommended by Jeremy) - Another great transparent OD that really lets you sculpt the overdrive sound with interesting pre-bass control and multiple clipping diode options.
                        Zendrive - Dumble inspired Tube Screamer, nice creamy leads at the upper end of the gain spectrum

For "distortion", I see you are a little light on fuzz, the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is a lot of fun with a Marshall style amp.

Good luck and have fun!
                        the good old rev just plugged timmy, guess it was on his new solo record a bunch

Comment

The OD is smooth. It does not seem to push the mids. Using the clean-wet mix, this will act like a boost. The distortion side will drop down into OD range. This side has control of the mids. You can run OD --->distortion, each side individually, or as hardwired, Distortion --->OD.

Didn't like the first two J&K's. The V3 came into the local store, and the owner told me to take it home and try it awhile. I was planning on hating it. Within a half hour of playing time, I was really enjoying this device and called the store. Told 'em I'll keep it. Aint the cheapest pedal on the block I know, but it plays well with all of my amps and that makes it a keeper.
                          Attached Files
                          That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                          And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Get an Angry Charlie and a BB preamp

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Myaccount876
                            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I'd go for a DOD 250 and a Fuzz Face.

Comment

Working...
                              X